xxii.

Rain whined quietly as I sat down on the couch beside Star. "What's wrong," I questioned her.

Star bit her lip and stabbed at the box of Chinese in her hand. Of course, Marko had grabbed that out of all things for us before the boys disappeared to find Michael. "I shouldn't have done that last night?"

"What do you mean? Didn't you want to?"

Star quickly nodded. "Of course, I wanted to. God, it was so wonderful." She paused and sighed. "But I don't know. What's going to happen now?" She paused again. "I think I want to complete the process, Eva. Especially if he does, too. I'm tired of hurting you because of how selfish I am."

My eyes widened at the news, but I couldn't ignore the fact that it was amazing news to me. "That's wonderful! Well, I mean, it's great that you're finally accepting it. Maybe you just needed Michael all along."

"What if he doesn't react well tonight? I don't want to force him into it." Star's voice was laced with worry, and I watched her pick at the nail polish on her fingers. "What if he hates me after everything?"

"He won't," I stated firmly. "It might take him a moment, but he'll never hate you."

"I hope so." Star wrapped her arms around me and sighed quietly. "I need to see him again. I need to talk to him."

"He's with the boys, isn't he?"

Star shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know, but I'll wait by his house. I have to do something. I need to see him, Eva."

I bit my lip and tapped my foot quietly before huffing and nodding. "Yeah, okay. I'll drive you so you don't have to go alone."

"What about Laddie?"

"The boys will be here soon enough and Rain can protect him if push comes to shove." Rain perked up at the sound of his name, and I ran a hand through his hair. "Laddie," I yelled out. The boy bumbled to us after a few seconds, and I grinned at the sight of him.

"Yeah, mom?"

"Laddie, Star and I are going to go out for a little bit. Are you going to be okay by yourself?" Laddie nodded and crossed his arms. "I know how to take care of myself! I'm growing up!"

Star and I laughed, and I ruffled his hair. "Okay, kid. When the boys come back, tell them that Star and I went to do something important and to not follow or I won't let them sleep in my bed tonight."

Laddie nodded excitedly, and I lifted myself from the couch. "There's still some Chinese food left if you want some. I know you ate, but I know you love Chinese, and the boys aren't going to want any."

Laddie bounced a bit before nodding and running away, yelling a 'thanks mom' and 'bye Star' over his shoulder.

I patted down myself, making sure I had my keys, lighter, and joint on me before I helped Star up from the couch. "Let's go talk to your loverboy."

I walked up the many stairs with Star trailing behind and easily climbed onto my bike. Star sat behind me and easily wrapped her arms around me, and then, we were tearing down the non-existent roads toward the Emerson house. Star gave me the instructions, and I didn't question how she knew.

The house seemed to be a bit run-down but overall nice. It had stuffed animals and wood carvings everywhere, and I could hear three people's heartbeats, though one was slower than the rest. Star jumped off my bike quickly and made her way around the house, listening for what window to look into.

I could hear a young boy talking to who I assumed was Michael as we approached a window. I lit a joint as I listened. "Don't kill me, Mike. I'm basically a good kid, so just don't kill me. I can help you. Just tell me who the head vampire is. I thought it was Max, but I was wrong." Who the hell was this kid and how did he know so much? "Just work with me, and I can help you. You'll be okay."