Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Desirah's POV

I threw a few more pillows on the rocky ground. I was grinning so widely my lips hurt. Despite my dislike of sleeping on the ground, I was excited nonetheless. I couldn't wait to share ghost stories with Niall.

Suddenly, I felt a weight on the small of my back pushing me forward. I fell to the ground, and I automatically stuck out my hands to cushion my fall. My wrists jarred at the impact, and I winced. We needed more pillows.

"Surprise!" Niall shouted, collapsing next to me. "Our campsite is finally set up. What do you want to do now?"

I shrugged. "I dunno, this was your idea."

He put on his thinking face, with the crinkled brow and puckered lips. "Um, do you want to play a game?"

"Okay. Like what?"

"That's all I got."

I rolled my eyes. "So we're going to play a game. Let's build on that. Video games, board games--"

"No board games," Niall interrupted me. "I don't like board games at all."

I frowned. "That's too bad. I really like some board games. Like Quelf, the Game of Life, Apples to Apples--"

"Well, those games are fun," Niall cut me off again. "I just don't like Monopoly all that much."

"Me neither," I agreed. "How about card games?"

"I don't play a lot of card games."

"I know a lot of them! I can teach you."

"But we don't have a deck of cards."

"Fair point," I conceded. "So, no board games, card games, or video games...."

"We can just... talk," Niall suggested.

"About what?"

"I dunno. Just stuff."

"I'll start," I said. "I know how to dance."

"No way, me too!" Niall gasped with exaggerated surprise. "What can you dance?"

"The cha-cha and freestyle. That's about it. What about you?"

"I know both of those, along with the tango and salsa and some others. I'm the best dancer out of the boys."

"You, really?" I scoffed. "Doubtful. I would think Zayn's the best dancer."

"Everyone thinks that," Niall scowled. "But in reality, it's me."

"Prove it to me," I challenged.

"Don't mind if I do," he smirked. "I just need a dance partner."

"Get one of the boys."

"No way! I'm not dancing with one of them! That'd just be weird."

I laughed in agreement. It's probably a good thing Niall didn't want to dance with his guy friends. I would've caught the whole thing on video and never let him live it down.

"I want to dance with you, a girl," Niall said. "Come on, get up."

He jumped to his feet and offered me his hand. I took it, and he helped me up.

"Can we do the cha-cha?" I pleaded slightly. "I don't want to step on your toes doing anything else."

"Sure."

I put my right hand on Niall's bicep and intertwined my left hand through his, extending my arm away from my body. Niall put his free hand on my waist. The funny thing was, I didn't feel awkward at all. Instead, I felt almost... comfortable.