Chapter 13

Kayla's POV

I kept rolling and thrashing around. I kept having the same dreams, nightmares really, of Ross getting shot down. I finally couldn't take it anymore and I got up and threw on some sweat pants and a jacket and grabbed the keys to the car that Belle and I shared. I left a note and drove to the hospital. I walked up to the desk and asked if I was allowed to see him.

"Are you family?" she asked me.

"No." I said. 

"Then, you can't see him." 

"But I'm his girlfriend. We're going to get married. I came in the middle of the night just to see him. Please?" 

The nurse sighed and said that I would have to wait for about 10 minutes. I fell asleep and was shaken awake. 

"Ma'am, you've been screaming for the last couple of minutes. You can go see Ross now." I followed her into his room and I ran to his side. He was tangled in wires and it was all I could do to break down in sobs. The doctor looked at me and I saw sympathy in his eyes.

"Ross will be fine but he is in a coma. We are not sure when he'll wake up or if he will wake up." 

"That's not fine. If he never wakes up, THAT IS NOT FINE!!!" I yelled. 

"Please do not yell, it could disturb the mind. Just try talking to him. He might hear you. Might stir some." The doctor walked out of the room and closed the door.

I sat down on the chair next to him and cried. I put my hand in his and looked at him through my tears. 

"Ross. I'm not sure if you can hear me but I'm going to speak anyway. I just want you to know that I appreciate what you've done for me. That seeing you makes me smile everyday. That kissing you are the happiest moments of my life. And I guess I realized that I had the chance to do something great and spend my life with the guy who makes me the happiest and I lost it." I looked at the ring on my finger. I changed the ring to the other hand. I continued.

"I know that you can't see it but I'm realizing that I can't live without you. There's no way I can survive. So when you wake up, we can married, make a family, grow old together." I laughed while tears are running down my face.

[Mikayla14356's thoughts: Yeah, I know. Jerky move. You want to marry him after you find out he's probably going to die. It's bad, but that's just the way I think.]

"We can even have 2 boys, just like you wanted. Just wake up for me. Please?" My voice cracked at the end and I cried myself to sleep, lying my head against his arm. 

I woke up to feel myself lying down and covered with a blanket. My head was in someone's lap and I looked up to see Rocky. I quickly jumped up and blushed. 

"How'd I get here? I was next to Ross. Is he okay? Did he wake up?" Rocky shook his head slightly.

"Riker carried you out here because you were in a uncomfortable position." I nodded.  

"It's all my fault. He wouldn't have gotten shot if I didn't meet Connor in the first place. If I wouldv'e said no to that date; if I wouldn't have run away. Everything leads back to me. Every bad thing happens to me." I whispered the last part to myself but I'm sure Rocky still heard it. 

"Kayla. It's not your fault. It's not your fault that Connor lost his mind and couldn't get the hint that you're taken. It's not your fault for trying to spare someone's feeling by going to dinner with them. Everything you did, you had good intentions. It's okay." I looked at Rocky and something in me had me leaning in. Rocky did the same but then, we stopped. Just like that. We weren't even close to each other. We looked at each other and laughed. 

"What were we just about to do?" We asked at the same time and laughed again. 

"That was going to be the weirdest moment. What were we thinking?" I asked. 

"I don't know, heat of the moment?" We laughed again and walked into Ross's room. Everyone was staring at us. 

"What?" Rocky asked. Joann ran out of the room and slammed the door and Stormie was giving us a disapproving look. 

"What did we do?" I asked. Riker scoffed and rolled his eyes in disgust. 

"That's not cool guys. Not cool at all." Ratliff said and shook his head. 

"What did we do?!" Rocky yelled. 

"You kissed. Didn't you?" Rydel said. We looked at each other and started laughing again. 

"You thought? You thought we kissed?" I managed to get between my laughs. They looked at us like we were crazy. 

"Riker, Joann, and Ryland saw you." Rydel asked confused.

"Yeah, saw us stop and look at each other like that was the stupidest thing ever! We laughed so hard after it, we fell on the floor." Rocky said.

"That would've been so awkward! Rocky's pretty much my brother! Rydel, would you kiss your brother?" She did a face of disgust and everyone laughed. Riker shook his head.  

"Okay, so you didn't. But Joann doesn't think so and it would be smart to go tell her what really happened. We stopped laughing right like that and realized what just happened. 

"Aw, shit. Joann, it wasn't what it looked like!" I yelled and ran out the room with Rocky right behind me.

_______________________________________________________________

Done. Finished. Bam. What. Yeah.

-Mikayla14356