Chapter Eleven

Kimaya enters the palace, the guards nodding to her. She's in a traditional Jabari dress, the soft material hugging her as she removes her cloak to reveal it. The dress hangs off her shoulders, the necklace M'Baku gave her around her neck. It is long sleeve and there are buttons running down the front of the dress. She wears the thigh-high boots she brought last time with it. A servant takes it as she removes her boots and put the grey slippers on. A guard approaches her and offers his hand.

"Chieftess? Do you need help?"

"Oh Thank you, Kasim but I am fine."

He nods as he escorts her to the meeting room. She sees the woman from last time and ignores her as she steps up onto the raised floor and sits. She places a pillow in her lap as she Thanks a servant for tea. The other elders and M'Baku shuffle in. He kisses her cheek, a soft smile forming as he murmurs softly to her.

"You should wear our clothes more often."

She chuckles as she sips her tea. M'Baku looks around before clearing his throat.

"Let's begin. What's first on the agenda?"

"This bridge," the woman says, scold on her face. "I don't like it."

"You like nothing Ata," one of the older men say, a soft twinkle in his eyes. "Can it be built in a traditional manner Lady Awa?"

"It can. Princess Shuri thinks a combination of modern and traditional manners should be used. Traditional since the methods used by our—"

"Our?" Ata says. "You are not Jabari."

Kimaya ignores her.

"Carpenters and builders are made to deal with the terrain we are building on. Modern so they are not spending too many months on this bridge and for safety."

"Would they be taught how to use the modern equipment?" A man named Dali asked.

"Yes. The head carpenter used is from the merchant tribe and said he is willing to come up to the Jabari to teach your men and women."

"That sounds good," Dali says, stroking his beard. He reminds Kimaya of a Jabari Santa man.

"When would you like to begin building?" Doe asks, the sweet woman on the council.

"King T'Challa would like to have it done before the cold season begins here that way there's no more hazards."

"The next cold season will begin in seven months," Dali says.

"So maybe in the next month?" M'Baku says.

"If possible."

"Any objections?"

"I object."

"I see no problems," Doe says. " Dali, Neji: Abu objections?"

"None," they say in unison.

"And I see no problems either," M'Baku says. "Construction will start in one month time."

"I will inform King T'Challa and the head architect."

"We shall do the same. Karriem will be excited to work with your architect. He hasn't stopped talking about him."

She chuckles.

"Next on—"

"Does she need to be here for the rest of the meeting?" Ata snaps.

"Ata cut—"

"I will be staying," Kimaya says, eyes staring at Ata. "Chief M'Baku asked me beforehand to attend this meeting and I am."

"You are not Jabari!"