Part 23

~:~1924~:~

The mood, since the majority of the Shelby family were arrested, was a bleak one. Everyone wasn't as cheerful as they normally were, Bunty tried her hardest to cheer Finn up.

"Come on, Finn," Bunty said, sitting on the floor with Nickel's six puppies. The puppies were all looking for homes, Bunty, however, had gotten rather attached to them all. "Play with them"

"Bunty, I have been doing that since they were born" he chuckled, joining his wife on the floor, picking up one of the black spaniel puppies and stroking his belly.

"I can't see how I can sell them all" Bunty told him, "I love them all"

"I know you do," he told her, pressing his lips on her temple. "But we don't even have our own house, having one dog here is bad enough but Nickel plus six puppies?"

"I know, I know," she told him, "maybe I can convince Tommy to have a couple, oh or John-" Bunty closed her mouth, "fuck, no. Sorry, Finn"

"It's all right," he told her, ever since his brothers went to jail, any time they were mentioned he became standoffish and closed off, "John always wanted one, maybe if he manages to get out he'll have one or two"

"And then we could see them" Bunty smiled.

"Yeah" he nodded, focusing on the small puppy in his hands.

"Finn, are you alright?" She questioned, he never was this quiet or un-talkative.

"They're set to hang tomorrow," he told her grimly.

"Tommy hasn't stopped it? Wait, I thought it wasn't for at least a couple weeks?"

"It got moved up, it's now tomorrow" he placed the puppy on the floor and stood up.

Bunty stood up too, carefully stepping so she was in front of him, "Tommy must have a plan, he's wouldn't let his and your brothers hang, Finn. You know that"

"I know" he grumbled, wrapping his arms around her body, nuzzling his head into her neck. "Wait, isn't it your birthday tomorrow?" He pulled away just so that he could see her face.

Bunty looked down, "yeah, but it doesn't matter, your brothers are more important"

"Bunty-"

"No, we can celebrate my birthday another time, okay?"

Finn reluctantly agreed, "We should put the pups away before they- too late, I'm not cleaning it up" Finn pointed to one of the bitch puppies peeing on the floor.

"Finn!" Bunty whined, "I always have to clean them up"

"You're the one that wants to keep them all"

Bunty pouted, "just take them into their kennel while I sort out this mess"

Finn whistled and all of the puppies followed him, bar one which he picked up.

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~

Bunty and Finn were lounging around, doing practically nothing for her birthday, Finn was upset because of his brothers, she wasn't feeling in the mood to celebrate. Isaiah did come over and spent a while with them, he brought Bunty an expensive bottle of whiskey which they all had a drink from.