Chapter 19

Evelina's chin quivered as she looked at her lover. "I never held any of it against you. Yeah, sure, I was pretty mad at you for leaving, but I understood that you wouldn't have done it unless you thought it was absolutely necessary. I didn't understand exactly why, but I've forgiven you, Joey." Tears dripped down both of their faces.

Joey reached over and kissed her forehead. He pulled back when a knock echoed in the room. A nurse stood by the opening.

"Is this a bad time? I have some meds for Evelina." She said slowly, eyeing up the tearful couple.

"No, please, come in. The pain is getting pretty rough." Evelina wasn't about ready to let the nurse get away too quickly. She needed relief. Like now!

The nurse came in with a little pill container and some water. She helped make sure that Ev was elevated enough to take the pills before leaving the room. She had made it pretty clear that she thought Ev needed some rest pretty soon, but didn't push it too much.

"Did they say when they thought I could get out of here?" Ev asked Joey as she snuggled back down in the bed more comfortably.

"Well, I'm sure they want you to heal up before coming home." Joey looked away from her for a moment as he thought about the phone call earlier. He looked back at her. There was no avoiding telling her what else had been said. "They want to hold you for a seventy-two hour psych evaluation."

"Excuse me? A what?" Evelina's brows shot up as she eyed him up. She had heard him clearly, but why was that needed? She still had an underlying pent up anger that needed to be released; this was a time to let it shine. "I didn't even do this to myself. There's not even a possibility that I could have done this to myself! The cuts are way too deep to be self-inflicted."

"I know, Ev." He nodded slowly. He didn't want to put her through any of this, but what choice did they really have. They had more lies to cover up. All of this was just the tedious complications they needed to deal with along the way.

"Make them stop. Make them not do that to me." She demanded of him. Fear lined her eyes. She wasn't about to take no for an answer; she'd been through too much already.

"Ev, a psych evaluation isn't that bad. You'd be in and out within three days. Believe me, what you went through on that rooftop was far worse than what you'd be going through in here." He tried to ease her mind. It was the least he could do with what he already had put her through.

The obstinate attitude was ever flowing however. "It's not happening. I will not go through something that wasn't originally intended for me. You get me out of her here. I'm perfectly fine to go. There's nothing else that can be done for me. Take me home."

"You have to recover, Evelina. I won't bring you home until the doctor says that it's okay." He crossed his arms in front of his chest and sat back deeper in the chair. Stubborn as ever.

"Joey, a psych eval is for people who tried to commit suicide. I didn't try to do that. Make them see that." She begged him. She already didn't favor hospitals, but being forced to stay in one made her realize how much she hated to be confined. She needed to get out or she'd go mad.

"Ev, I can't make them not do something that they're required to do. We can't have questions asked about you, or your plan will not work." He explained calmly.

"I'm getting out of here, Joey. With or without your help." She made it clear as she pushed a button on the side of the bed. Pain shot up her arm as she pushed the button, eliciting a cry out, but it was worth it to try and acquire freedom. She had an idea, but only time would tell if it'd pay off.

Joey sat up more attentively in his chair. "What are you doing?"

Ev ignored him and waited for her salvation to appear.

A nurse popped in only a few moments later. "What can I help you with, Evelina?"

"Can you have Doctor Wiley come to my room? I had some questions for him." Ev felt a little fuzzy as the pain meds officially began to kick in. She tried to stay alert enough to fully understand everything that was being said.

"Doctor Wiley isn't usually in this department of the hospital." The nurse checked Evelina's vitals and the charts at the end of her bed.

"I know, but I would like to confirm a few things with him. Could you please find him for me?" Ev couldn't stop a yawn from escaping her mouth. "I'd really appreciate it if you could help me with that."

"I'll make a deal with you." The nurse gently pushed Evelina up and grabbed her pillows to fluff up. "If you promise to take a nap, I will personally find Doctor Wiley and bring him to you."

A small smile spread across Ev's face. "I promise, but only if you make sure he comes here as soon as possible."

"I'll do what I can." The nurse assured her before leaving the room.

"Who's Doctor Wiley?" Joey leaned forward more, curiosity lacing his voice.

Evelina settled back more comfortably in the bed. "My ticket out of here." She let herself drift off to sleep. She knew that Joey wouldn't leave her. She needed the rest to get herself out of this mess anyway.