Chapter Fifteen

I'm sitting at the sound board my latte going cold while I wait for my newest "artist." She's not really an artist she's a ten-year old spoiled brat whose online video went viral. Big whoop de doo, but for some reason Daddy thinks it's a good idea to have the child record a few things with us.

I look at the clock again, well the little diva is late, and if she's not here in five minutes I'm leaving. I am missing an epic beach party for this, because Daddy said it'd be good training for me to be able to work with someone so young, but in reality he just doesn't want to pay someone to be here on the weekend.

Just as I'm gathering my things to leave, the door to the studio opens and a young girl with shoulder length golden blonde hair, and bright green eyes walks in. Her eyes are a little too big for her face and she's looking around the room in wonder and a little fright. I can feel my irritation begin to slowly fade a little as she slowly walks into the room.

Her eyes find mine and she opens and shuts her mouth several times before she finally speaks, "Are y-y-you M-M-M-M-Miss M-M-Mathews?"

The stutter surprised me. She'd been flawless in her online videos, no stutter and all confidence, but here she's almost a complete opposite squirming under my gaze. Deciding I'd put her out of her misery I smiled and said, "I am, I take it you're young Miss Lightening?"

"Yes Ma'am." Her small voice squeaked.

"You're late. Do you know what you're singing? Or have you yet to decide?"

"I'm so sorry I'm late. I got lost trying to get here. I kind of picked a song out of the list, but I don't know if it sounds okay or not."

Rolling my slightly my irritation starting to flare, I smile to hide how annoyed I am as I respond, "We gave your parents the address and directions they should have been able to find us easily. Where are they anyways? They should be here to help you with what you're singing. I'm just here to run the board; you are supposed to do the rest."

She cast her eyes down, her voice a little choked as she whispers, "They aren't coming."

That stopped me right in my tracks, irritation forgotten as I ask, "What do you mean they're not coming? How'd you get here? Did they just drop you off and leave?"

Her eyes still cast down she whispers, "T-T-They think s-s-singing is-is a-a s-s-stupid waste of time. They-they said if I-I wan-wanted to-to do it-it I'd be-be doing it al-al-alone."

"So this morning I-I got up all-all by my-myself and I caught the city b-bus, but I got turned ar-ar-around somehow and mix-mixed up the street nam-names and the b-bu-bus dro-drop-dropped me about f-f-four bl-blo-blocks away. I'm s-s-sorry I'-I'm late I ra-ra-ran here as fast as I could. Pl-Ple-Please let me st-st-still record something. Pl-Pl-Please."

By the time she'd finished speaking the little girl was in complete tears, and my heart was breaking for her. All annoyance and irritation forgotten I walked over and hugged her as she cried, and when she was done I spoke again, "Well, don't you worry about any of that, together you and I will record a song so great they'll change their minds."

The little girl smiled up at me, "Thank you Miss Mathews."

"You are very welcome Miss Lightening."

Scrunching her nose a little she sheepishly looked me in the eyes and asked in her delicate little voice, "Can you call me Melody or Mel. I don't like how long my name is. I mean my first name is Melodious and my last name is Lightening and it's just too big for me. I mean you don't have to if you don't want to, but it'd be kinda nice if you did, but only if you want to."