Chapter eleven

"Ophelia." I gape.

"Hello Jay." She smiles at me more confidently this time.

"What- What are you doing here?"

"I was in the area... I thought I'd drop in."

"You haven't been around in almost four years Ophelia." I say firmly despite the tremor in my heart.

"I know."

"You left me standing at that fucking church."

"I know and I'm so sorry Jay."

"Jay, who's here?" Bridgette asks coming down the stairs her hair wet from showering before she could go to bed.

"No one babe." I call back to her. "I'll be up soon."

"Okay." She says uneasily. She clearly didn't believe me.

"Who's that?"

"None is your business." I snap at her.

"I just want to talk."

"Talk it's nearly midnight so why don't you come back at a reasonable hour?"

"I tried but you haven't been home."

"Well try again tomorrow." I snap at her closing the door. I head up to bed finding Bridgette I bed looking up at the ceiling. I lay down next to her stifling a sigh.

"Who was she?" She asks softly.

"No one important." I answer back just as softly tucking my hands under my head.

"That's what you said before but she seemed pretty important."

"She's not. Not anymore." I mutter.

"You don't want to tell me?" She asks sitting up on her elbow to look at me.

"It's not something I talk about." I admit looking over at her. Her hair fell down off her shoulder to hang from the side, her long lashes batting at me gently as she looks at me expectantly, the moonlight coming in through the French doors leading to the balcony casting a soft blue silver glow behind her head. She looks like a goddess. Gently I tuck some stray hairs behind her ear.

"Well, when you're ready I'm here. It's the least I can do for you after everything you've done for me."

"Thank you." I reply softly. "Now come on, you have work in the morning." Laughing softly she lays her head on my chest, but despite what she says I still feel the conflict in her body. When I wake up in the morning she's already up, dressed, and chugging down a protein shake as she stands in the kitchen. "Good morning."

"Morning." She smiles at me before going toward the door handing me a protein shake as well.

"Ready to take on the day?" I ask arching a brow at her.

"Of course can't be late on my first day."

"I'll be in soon."

"Alright I'll see you in a bit." She kisses me softly before going out to her car. I watch her leave before going up to get showered and dressed. When I come back down, ready to leave, Ophelia turns up again.

"You said come back tomorrow."

"I didn't actually think you would. Staying away was never an issue for you before."

"Can I come in?"

"No."

"Jay."

"No Ophelia. It's been four fucking years. YOU walked out on ME. So if I don't want to give you the time of day that's my right."