4 - Cat food

"Lyn! Could you go to the store and get some veggies? We're all out."

I groaned before jumping off my chair, closing my notebook, and stomping out of my room.

"Got it." I yelled back while slipping on my vans and burst through the door.

Soft autumn breeze gushed through me and I took a deep breath, easing into the feeling. I was still in my uniform and I had to hold my skirt when the wind became a little too strong.

The walk to the grocery store wasn't that long. Descending down a steep road and turning around a corner, I arrived at the main street. As usual, the roads were nearly congested and people were hustling and bustling about.

I opened the door, causing the wind chimes to ding, and strolled around the shelves. Strangely, there were sports equipment being sold.

What the heck, since when did grocery stores sell these kinds of stuff?

I crouched down to see some roller skates that were on the lowest shelf.

"Do you sell cat food?" A familiar voice echoed near me.

"Yes. It's over there," the store assistant replied.

I peeked from behind the shelf to see who it was. His back was facing me, but I knew who it was from his gray hair. I haven't seen him since that day at the crossroads.

"What are you doing here." I walked up to him with my arms crossed.

He swiftly turned around to look at me with an unamused expression. "Oh, it's you again. Lana or something."

"It's Lyn," I corrected him, starting to get annoyed. "I didn't know reapers could walk into a store to purchase cat food like a human."

He clenched his jaw and slowly closed his eyes, sighing.

"How many times do I have to tell you, I'm not a reaper! If you keep accusing me, saying that I'm a reaper, I won't hesitate to call the cops on you. Mind your own business," he hissed as he grabbed a can of cat food and brushed past me, shoving me with his shoulder in the process.

My back hit the shelves, rocking them slightly.

"Jerk," I mumbled under my breath, watching him leave.

When I turned around to face the shelves, my eyes widened and I froze when one of the bowling balls that were placed on the top was about to fall on top of my head.

I shut my eyes tight in fear and braced myself for the hit.

...But nothing happened.

I opened my eyes to see the ball standing still on the top of the shelves, not moving whatsoever.

I wasn't injured.

Did I hallucinate?

The store assistant walked past me and I called her to vent. "Why the heck did you place the bowling balls on the top?! What if someone gets hit or even worse, die from brain injury when it falls on their head?! Actually, what kind of a grocery store even sells these stuff?"

"That's none of your business," she spat while chewing her gum and left me there dumbstruck.

People these days...

I sighed and walked to the vegetables section.

Hello there, my fellow potatoes.

I picked a bag of potatoes, onions, and other things Rena told me to buy, and headed to the cashier. After that, I walked out of the store and went back home.