38 - Soul sisters

"Taehyung and I's relationship goes all the way back in time, many centuries ago," Rena boasted before shoving some chips into her mouth.

I squinted my eyes at her, feeling somehow jealous but quickly shrugged it off. "Well, my boyfriend saved my parents' lives when they got into an accident. Do you relate?"

Not sparing her a glance, I focused on opening the bag of chips in my hand.

"My boyfriend is the owner of a conglomerate."

I shrugged. "Mine is rich, too. Yours ain't special."

She kept crunching chips while thinking. "Hmm... Mine is tall."

"Who says mine isn't?" I remained expressionless as I put some chips in my mouth.

"Well then, Taehyung gives me massages every once in a while," she giggled.

"This is getting ridiculous," I sighed. "Jimin is an amazing dancer who knows how to hypnotize you while dancing."

"Taehyung sings me to sleep even when we're on the phone."

Oh wow... that... actually sounds nice.

I wasn't giving up. "Jimin stopped his bad habits after meeting me because he knew those things upset me."

Rena stood up before walking over to the table to pour some soda in two cups. "I see... Did I mention that Taehyung made me his fiancée?"

My breathing halted for a moment as I digested her words.

"What?"

"Mhmm." She handed me a cup before drinking from one herself. "I guess he wanted to make me happy before I died."

With the soda in my hand, I looked down and bit my lips.

Their marriage won't happen...

"We've both caught ourselves in forbidden loves, haven't we...." She smiled, sitting down beside me again. "At least one of us should have our happy ending."

I looked up into her eyes that reflected boundless sadness both for herself and me.

"I don't know if that's possible, Rena," I stammered. "We're... different beings..."

"Who cares," she exclaimed while refilling her cup. "Love doesn't. What's important is-"

"Um, I don't think you should drink that much soda-"

"-that you both work for it." She fumbled with the bag, searching for a new snack to munch on.

Nothing will happen even if we try... The whole world is against us being together... After all, it gifted me with my death.

Rena suddenly coughed violently with her hand covering her mouth and I abruptly jumped off the bed to hold her.

"Rena?!"

"I'm- fine," she choked out in between her coughs, flailing her free hand. "This is- nothing."

After taking a breather, she smiled sheepishly at me. "Can we sleep early? I'm... sort of tired."

I quickly agreed. "I told you! You shouldn't drink that much soda!"

She giggled softly in response.

After we prepared to sleep, we lied down on her bed, facing each other while holding hands. Normally, I wouldn't have done something so cringeworthy... but this day, I wanted nothing else but to hold her hands tightly and keep her close to me. Every second that passed instilled fear in me that she would disappear if I didn't.

Knowing that she would be gone tomorrow, unable to talk to me, unable to scold me, unable to play around with me, unable to be here beside me... I didn't want the sun to rise.

If I could, I would have stopped time.

Every second ticking was slowly robbing me of my sanity.

I flinched when she mumbled, "Why aren't you sleeping?"

I didn't answer her.

Worrying her was the last thing I wanted. I wanted her to rest in peace, not leave me with guilt.

"Should I sing you to sleep like Tae does?"

"No," I whispered, "it's fine. You should sleep. I will, eventually."

"By the way, did you know that Taehyung and Jimin are friends?"

My eyes bulged out. "Huh? How do you know that?"

"I've seen Jimin around Taehyung in my previous lives," she sighed. "We could have gone on a double date..."

"Then why doesn't Jimin talk about him? There was only one time that I heard him talk about Taehyung and it wasn't something pleasant."

"Then... they're fighting now?"

I guess...

"I'll ask him tomorrow."

Tomorrow...

"I hope everything goes smoothly tomorrow," she huffed out. "I planned the date a long time ago."

"I'm sure the date will be amazing. Now sleep," I scolded her.

She giggled before shifting a little and whispered, "Good night."

After her light snoring filled the air, I let my tears stain the pillow.

It was inevitable but that didn't stop the pain in my heart.

I didn't want to lose this girl before me.

I hope tomorrow never comes...

————————————————————
A/N: Enjoy this... angst... yeah

This path that we are now going through is way more angsty than the previous one that I deleted. Just thought that you should know... 👀

Thank you for reading this chapter and please don't forget to vote if you liked it 🌹