29 - Downpour

"Hey, mom, I decided to come with you two."

I packed a sweater, sweatpants and some underwear in my mini suitcase. It was only a two day trip, so I didn't need anything else but spare clothes and some snacks because I wouldn't survive without some food to munch on.

"What happened to your competition?"

"I wouldn't have won an award anyway... It's a really tough competition." I bit my lips. "I need some time off my studies."

She was silent for a moment, probably deciding whether or not it was alright.

"Okay, we will come get you early in the morning tomorrow and then we will go there together."

After thinking about Jimin's words and wanting to go with my parents sooner, I just decided to ditch my competition. I needed some air to clear my head and to get a break from all the stuff that's been going on lately. With Rena's imminent death, I needed some time to prepare myself before that happened.

A getaway was perfect.

"Okay. Good night, mom."

I hung up and dropped on my bed, eyes closed.

Hoping to let out my worries along with my breath, I exhaled deeply.

If only it was that easy...

I turned to my side and stared blankly at my suitcase.

Should I tell Jimin about this?

I sighed.

Nah, I shouldn't bother him with something like this... We should spend as little time together as possible, too.

I unintentionally hurt myself by thinking that way, but what can I do?

Love is painful.

Forbidden love is even more painful.

How I wished he was a human just like me... With him acting more and more like a human, that foolish hope of mine was all that occupied my mind nowadays.

Why do I always wish for something impossible...?

"Whatever," I huffed and closed my eyes to fall asleep.

🌹🌹🌹

"Oh, we missed you so much," mom gushed, hugging me, as dad put my luggage in the trunk.

"Me, too," I sighed, snuggling into her warm chest.

They took their seats in the front while I sat on the backseat. Soon enough, we started moving out of my university parking lot and headed to our destination.

I leaned back against the head rest, closing my eyes as my parents chatted among themselves, quietly not to disturb me.

To show them that I wasn't sleeping and that it was okay for them to talk loudly, I started humming a sad melody while staring outside the window, reminiscing the memories I created with my soul sister.

It was a cloudy, gloomy day as if the nature was changing the weather according to my state of mind. It felt as if I was the protagonist of some movie, and that made me wallow further in my own somber feelings.

I didn't mind the dreary weather...

The rain hushed the world, making everything calm and quiet, just how I wanted it to be when I was not in the mood for bright stuff.

"So how's school, honey? You must be acing every class, right?"

Lol, what?

"What even... I'm doing great, but I'm not acing every subject, dad. Some teachers are total a-holes, so I have a hard time in those classes."

He clicked his tongue. "Teachers these days... Anyways, what was that competition even about and why did you not go there? What happened?"

I groaned.

"A debating competition, dad. And I'm not in the mood to muster up energy to argue with some try-hard kids so I ditched it."

"Why? What happened?"

I nibbled my bottom lip while staring at my father through the rear mirror. I couldn't bring myself to tell them that their friends' daughter... was dying.

I wasn't ready to tell them.

I wasn't ready to accept it.

I might never accept it.

"It's... nothing. Never mind."

"Your daughter is acting weird again," mom whispered to him. "You know what that means, right?"

He nodded and decided to drop the topic. "By the way, did you pack those sweets I bought a few days ago? I specifically bought them for this trip."

Mom cocked her eyebrow. "For what? For eating while driving?"

He chuckled. "No, honey. They're presents for your parents."

I zoned out while the two of them chatted and chuckled among themselves again.

The outside was gloomy. Way too gloomy.

I was sure it was almost noon but everything was dark and grim as if it was nighttime. The heavy clouds were towering above us, casting shadows all over the place. No other cars or even animals were in sight.

"Mom, why did you choose this stupid day to travel far away? It's raining cats and dogs."

"The weather didn't say that there will be this heavy downpour," she sighed. "It's not too late to go back. Honey?"

She turned to look at my dad, waiting for his decision.

He shook his head. "It's fine. The rain will pass."

But, by the looks of it, the rain will pass hours later...

I was starting to get worried.

The rain was starting to scare me.

All of a sudden, a loud thunder tore the sky, making me cower in fear.

"Oh my god!" My mother suddenly screamed and soon my father followed.

With a jolt of shock, I looked up to see our car colliding with a giant truck that came slipping towards us because of the small pools of water that were formed on the road any second.

My heart jumped out of my throat.

I couldn't think.

I couldn't move.

My whole life flickered briefly in my eyes and I screamed, clutching the car seat before me, closing my eyes shut.

Maybe this was how I was supposed to die.

Among all those, the only thing I was able to think was calling for him before blacking out.

Jimin...

————————————————————
A/N: Surprise update

Thank you for reading this chapter and please don't forget to vote if you liked it 🌹