8 - Curiosity

"I don't know if this will work, Mr. Jimin..."

I inspected the suit and the shades he just handed me. The jacket had rose emblems on the collar and sleeves just like his. I was quite surprised to find out that his clothes were small enough to fit me.

"Just wear it! Hurry up!" He said frustrated and pushed me into his changing room, closing the door.

We were in what I assumed was his apartment. However, calling it an apartment would be a bit of an overstatement. The walls were black, there were no other furnitures except chairs and wardrobes, and there were living room, bathroom, toilet and changing room. No bedroom, no kitchen, whatsoever.

He suddenly dragged me all the way here, trying his best to hide my face with his jacket on the way. "Mortals shouldn't be here!" was what he said nonstop.

That's why I was wearing a disguise, trying to blend in with the soul reapers, here in his 'humble abode'.

After a while, I walked out, fully dressed, and saw him standing there with his arms crossed, feet tapping on the ground repeatedly.

"Took you long enough," he said bored and took my hand before walking out.

"So... where are we going?"

He was silent for a while and then heaved a sigh.

"We're teleporting you back to your home."

I nodded. "How?"

He pouted his plump lips while thinking for a moment. "We already tried with the traditional method. You were still here while I teleported to your world... We should go to the higher ups."

"Higher ups? Lord of the underworld?"

"No," he frowned. "No one must bother the Lord, ever. We'll just be using the higher ups' portal. That's the only way I can send you back other than teleporting. Plus, you can't be seen by the others! If they take a glimpse of you, you're dead. I heard that the mortals who came here thousands of years ago never made it back home."

I blinked repeatedly, trying to process what I just heard. "What? Then, what happened to them?"

"Their souls were... erased. Their existence was deleted altogether. They were not supposed to enter this world, but they still did because of their curiosity and ended up like that... Their memories could have been erased instead but I heard that those humans were immune to our powers. And that was why they had to be, well, removed from existence. Our Lord ordered that such anomaly doesn't exist..."

A sudden shiver ran through my spine and I grabbed his arm, feeling afraid.

Then, what will happen if I got caught here?

Will I d-die?

"Why are you helping me?" I asked him with shaky voice.

He pursed his lips and chuckled softly. "This may sound weird but... I hate it when people die."

I got confused with his strange answer. He was a soul reaper and yet he hated it when people died? I didn't understand.

"Huh?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

He chuckled louder this time and brushed his hair back with his fingers. My eyes couldn't help but marvel at the sight. He looked positively glorious sweeping his hair in such a mesmerizing way.

"You, humans have the opportunity to experience all that life has to offer, love and be loved by the others, feel myriads of colorful emotions, and just make your own little creations that you want. Living is a blessing. And I hate robbing people of such a thing... Especially when they have regrets." He smiled at me.

I was speechless.

I never imagined that a soul reaper would be having such thoughts. Such humane thoughts.

So warm. So tender.

"You... had emotions?"

He stared at me in disbelief as if I offended him. "You thought I didn't?"

I nodded.

We walked into another building which was way colder than his apartment. There were many other reapers present, walking here and there or just talking to each other.

"Wow," he exclaimed. "You're hurting my feelings here, sweetie. Reapers feel emotions, too, you know?"

Sweetie...?

"Do they?"

He licked his lips. "Okay. Some of us... A few of us, actually. I suggest you stick to your disguise and hold onto me very closely as if your life depends on it." He winked at me.

What the-

"Jimin?"

We stopped on our tracks and looked back at another gray haired tall man who was, of course, a reaper. Mr. Jimin suddenly pulled me towards himself and covered my body with his on an attempt to hide me.

"What are you doing here? Did you get into trouble again for the higher ups to call you here?" He walked towards us, his focus on Mr. Jimin.

His eyes then moved to my face and stayed there. "Who is this girl? Is she new here?"

I bit my lips, feeling nervous under his stare. If he found out who I was, I would never be able to see the sun again. I clutched Mr. Jimin's arm  with shaky hands and hoped that he saves me from this.

"Yes, she is. I'm showing her around since she's inexperienced as you can see. And don't come near her, I already called dibs on her."

He shooed the grumbling reaper away and started walking again with his one arm wrapped around my waist, pulling me onto his side protectively.

Why was I being flustered by that?

He's a soul reaper, Lyn, stop blushing!

We arrived at a huge round portal with reapers standing in line, waiting for their turns to enter it. I assumed that new reapers teleported through it because they haven't learned how to do it on their own.

We walked to the end of the line and waited for our turn.

"This makes me remember my first time here," he chuckled. "I didn't know anything back then."

That sparked my curiosity again and I thought that it was the best time to ask questions. He seemed nice enough to answer them... even though he was a total asshole when we met a few times before.

"How long have you been a reaper?" I asked carefully, keeping my voice low.

He stopped laughing and shifted his gaze to me. His sharp eyes were peering into mine and my breath got caught in my throat. Did I cross a line?

"Don't you think you're diving in too deep now, sweetie? I already told you how some people paid for their prices because they were just so damn curious about us... Aren't you scared?"

"I can't help it," I yelled softly. "Ever since you appeared before me when I was small, there wasn't a single day I didn't think about you. I devoted so many years searching for you, looking for you. I even thought that you were just a hallucination... But you're here now, you are a reaper and you're real. Put yourself in my shoes, Mr. Jimin."

He sighed before stretching his neck.

"Curiosity killed the cat, Evelyn... Take my advice and don't look for us."

He leaned down and whispered to my ear. "Or you will regret it."

——————————————————————
A/N: Thank you for reading this chapter and please don't forget to vote if you liked it 🌹