43 - Eliza

With my heart hammering inside my chest, I speed walked to the place Jimin showed me as the authorities' building when I came here before.

"Liz?"

That must be where they took Jimin... I was sure of it. They took him there to judge his actions.

"Liz!"

I didn't know what I would do if they decided to erase his soul. I hastened my pace, hoping that I wouldn't be too late.

Someone grabbed my arm out of the blue, turning me around to face him, but I couldn't see his face as he had a mask on.

"What are you doing here?!"

Do I know him? Or did he notice that I wasn't a soul reaper?

"Uh... what?"

"How did you get in here? Why are you here?" He kept interrogating me.

I swallowed hard.

"I think you're mistaking me for someone else, mister...?"

He sighed and shook his head. "I didn't save you many years ago to have you walk back in here again like this. If you're here to meet someone, I suggest you go back."

My eyebrows twitched in annoyance.

Who the heck does he think he is? Telling me what to do?

"I'm one of the authorities here," he suddenly boomed and I froze in shock.

I kept cursing in my head, screaming at myself to run away from him.

"I-I really think you're mistaking me for someone else," I stammered and started walking away from him fast.

Oh my god, I'm in deep shit. I'm so fucked right now! I'm so so dead! I'm a goner even before finding Jimin!

"Jimin?"

Shivers ran down my spine when that man uttered his name from behind me and I gulped.

I forgot that every reaper could read humans' minds.

"You're looking for Jimin?"

What should I do now...

"Liz... the human he was saving multiple times was you?"

I turned to look at him with a serious expression, hoping that it covered my agitation. "My name isn't 'Liz' and I think you're wrong."

He stepped closer towards me. "The only one who's wrong here is you if you think I don't know you're a human. But I won't take your life contrary to what you're thinking right now... Trust me."

"How can I trust you?" I took wary steps backwards. Who knew what he would do to me.

"You're really stubborn as always," he sighed.

How would he know?

Then, he suddenly took off his mask and I stopped breathing.

I couldn't believe my eyes. They might as well be playing tricks with me because the person standing before me was...

"Uncle?" I shuddered. "H-How can this-"

"You shouldn't be here, Lyn."

I gasped. "You were... a reaper? But you live with us, on earth! How is this possible?"

"Reapers can manipulate memories. You must know that, right? But you know your memories can't be manipulated, though, since you're a reaper, too, my dear."

My whole body froze. "I'm a what?!"

"Well, was a reaper, more like. You were our best, but also the worst reaper. You couldn't stop saving humans, and that caused you to get punished almost everyday..."

Wait... This sounds almost too familiar...

"When one day," he continued, "my fellow authorities thought it was enough and decided to erase your soul altogether. I had to jump through so many hoops to have you reincarnate as a human, but now..." He frowned at me with disappointment. "You're getting tangled up in all this mess again. Leave him, Lyn. Your life is in danger already, don't push it. Your biggest weakness is your stubbornness... You never know when to quit."

So... I'm that soul reaper Jimin was talking about?

That reaper who he thought was erased from this world?

How can this be?

"Why did you save me that time?"

"Because you're my niece," he quivered. "We came to this underworld together because of a mistake I made when I was human... To repent for that, I have always watched over you. Even now, I still do. And I beg you, don't put yourself in danger, Lyn."

I shook my head violently. "I can't do that... I have to find Jimin... I can't pass a second without knowing that he's safe and well. I'm the reason his life is in danger right now! I must save him!"

"Lyn," he boomed. "You're in the underworld and he's a soul reaper. There's nothing you can do."

Tears started rolling down my cheeks, hearing him say such things.

"What about you? Can't you reincarnate him as a human like you did with me?"

He gulped before looking down at the floor.

"Uncle, please, I beg you," I cried, clutching the hem of his jacket. "I'll never forgive myself if he disappears from my life... I can't live if living is without him. I love him..."

"Why did you fall in love with a reaper, my dear Lyn..."

He suddenly held my hands and we teleported into a dimly lit confinement room. I scanned the place until my eyes landed on a figure sitting on the ground with his hands cuffed and chained to the wall.

A gasp left my mouth and I immediately knelt down to hug him.

"Jimin," I sobbed. "I'm so sorry. This is all my fault."

"Lyn," he breathed out weakly, almost inaudible. "What... are you... doing here..."

"I shouldn't have sought out after you so persistently back then! If I didn't, you wouldn't be suffering like this..."

"Lyn... stop saying such nonsense," he whispered, groaning. "You're hurting my heart... you idiot."

"We're getting you out of here." I fumbled with his cuffs but couldn't seem to unlock them.

My uncle walked up to us and flicked his hand, breaking the chains and unshackling Jimin in an instant. He held him up with his arm around his torso but suddenly paused.

"What's wrong?"

"Lyn," he whispered, looking at me wide eyed.

My heart started trembling.

"W-What?"

What's wrong?

He put his hand against Jimin's heart before looking back at me.

"Why didn't you tell me he's almost human now?"

————————————————————
A/N: DUN DUN DUUUUNNNNNN 😱

Are these hard to digest? 😆

Thank you for reading this chapter and please don't forget to vote if you liked it 🌹