Dismay...

KERÖS

I looked away from the crowd, hoping that this was some kind of joke played on the heir; that everyone would start laughing,  I would receive my marks and a pat on the back from the priest, but this was no joke; I actually had no marks.I then turned away from everyone, running towards the back exit .

       I got on my horse and rode away from everything; the looks of dismay, disappointment, surprise, sadness and many more from the people inside the temple. I got to the palace and ran to my panic room; a backroom in my closet where I  used  to go as a kid.I remember all those years ago before mum died when she was the only other person who knew about my panic room. She would sometimes come in there and sit with me hugging me till I shed all the necessary tears. Back then I was sure that mum would always be there for me, but now I had no one to talk to about my problems. I thought about how father would be feeling now; his legacy ended in flames by his failure to produce a worthy heir to the Id'ean throne.

        I sat in there for what felt like hours, and then when I finally decided to come out I saw Ater sitting at the entrance."you okay?" he asked "Apart from being mortally embarrassed by my inability to claim any marks I'm fine" I replied. If my sarcasm was still in check I must be healing up pretty well. "don't worry, it'll be okay,soon." he said. I realised then that I was being a phenomenal idiot; my friend had just gotten the most unexpected result after mine."how are you holding up?" I asked "well I have no choice but to do my duties and responsibilities to my people". That was impressive talk from Ater who I thought was all muscle. I decided to go talk to my someone who would give me some mature advice or keep to myself think about things.

    I climbed up to the roof of the palace,  ignoring the wind that kept holding me back.I sat on the roof and kept thinking of what to do next.I was startled by a deep voice  behind me.

"rough day huh?" Kad mi-el asked

"yeah".

Kad mi-el then sat by my side; he wore a grey cloak over his black inner clothing.

"In all my years in this world I have learnt to accept some things as they are because all things happen for a reason".  "well for what reason could this be happening to me?" I asked

" I don't know" Kad mi-el said "but one thing I know for sure is that the universe doesn't throw stuff at us that we can't handle"

   "Well maybe the universe us wrong just this once because I sure can't handle this situation." I replied

Kad mi-el gave me this all knowing look, I realised that nobody really knows where Kad mi-el is from, except maybe my dad. I heard the servants saying that he just showed up and went in for an audience with the king. No one knows what he said, No but since then he and my dad have been real close.

"You should talk to your father when he returns from his raid." "Raid?"

"The Rhönn colony has just rebelled. your father took it upon himself to smash their resistance"

Just when I needed him the most, I thought "thanks Kad mi-el" I said

I got up and dropped into my room, where Ater was still waiting for me "How are you doing ?" he asked

"slightly better" I replied. Ater put his arm over my shoulder

"look on the bright side " Ater said "since you're mark less for now you could come hang with me and analyse sand samples and read dusty scrolls.

" I looked at his arm and saw the scholar symbol emblazoned onto his wrist. It was weird; my warrior friend, a scholar. But things could be much worse

                                                     ******

In the lower provinces of the city of Charias,  the FleaWall market was bustling with life. The different people plying their respective trades inside the market  ranged from people who sold stolen gold, swords and other jewellery, the finest of clothing ( so they claim), to people who sold animals for all purposes. Some other people claim they were grand mages, followers of the wanderer Cain. All those different people made any one person, particularly one in a black cloak covering his face, look insignificant.

The man In the hood walked efficiently, avoiding people and dodging obstacles with ease. He then stopped in front of the limping vulture, a run down tavern in the lower province of the city. He entered the tavern, obviously irritated by the state of the place. Raiders stayed there, complaining about not being chosen for King Derrahn's raid of Rhönn. The raiders drank and sang all day, with servant girls and whores on their legs .

The hooded man got to the back of the tavern,  where another man in a grey hooded cloak was waiting for him

"you weren't followed?" grey asked

"No" black replied

"good" grey continued" Everything is in place; we will launch our attack on the evening of the victory party when Derrahn returns"

"And what then?" Black asked

"you just play your part in the plan, you will be rewarded greatly" Grey replied

"and the prince?"  Black asked, although he already knew the answer

" We can't have any loose ends; he has to be eliminated."