Yesterday is History

48 hours later, Emily sat on the chair by the hospital bed with the baby sleeping on her chest and her hand in Daniels. It was the middle of the night and she hadn't left the hospital once, guilt ridden by the idea that Daniel had been hurt because of her. She was angry, he was angry, he left, he was drunk, the car hit him and he was left like this. Unconcious, broken rubs, wrist and hand. He hadn't woken once, as the doctors had predicted.

Daniel coughed and Emily slowly opened her eyes to see the pain on his face from the chest movement.

"Shhh," Emily whispered reaching up and brushing some hair from his bruised face and then kissing his hand.

She settled back in the chair and Meg nestled into her top as Emily closed her eyes again only to try and peice together what had happened to Daniel after the police officer spoke to her.

"He went out drinking, Mr Porter said he left the bar at around 1am, after being heavily intoxicated, this was around 5 hours since you last saw him. He drove 30 miles away from the bar, in the direction of the city and we found his car empty of petrol. We understand from there, that he walked to the closest town which was around 15 miles, but he only made it about 5 miles until the car hit him. We are still investigating who was driving the car but it was a hit and run."

Emily shuddered as she thought about Daniels cold body lying on the side of the road.

"Are you cold?" A hoarse voice whispered quietly.

Emily opened her eyes and sat up straight away to see Daniel with his eyelids heavy, but eyes open.

"Oh god, oh dear god," she whispered as tears came to her eyes. "You had me so worried."

She stood up and leant over him and carefully hugged him with one arm.

"Don't you ever do that to me again, don't ever dare do that to me agin."

Daniel winced and Emily pulled away and bent down and locked lips. For the first time, in the long time, the kiss felt real. They kissed and then pulled away to breathe, and then kissed again until they were interrupted by the cry of the baby in Emilys arm.

"W-What happened?" Daniel asked as Emily pulled away and tended to Meg.

"You don't remeber?" She questioned.

"No."

"We had an argument because we saw James at the resturant. And Meg was sick so we went home but you were angry and you left. I didn't see you after that until you were here"

"Is Meg okay?"

"She's fine. I'm more worried about you."

The doctor quietly knocked on the door and walked in, expecting to see both Daniel and Emily asleep. Daniel looked up, and so did Emily as the doctor walked in.

"Mr Grayson," he said, "I didn't expect to see you awake. I'm here to just double check everything's okay."

Daniel nodded and the doctor checked his iv, temperature, heart rate and blood pressure before turning to Emily.

"Let me just look over her too," he said taking the baby from her arms and looking at Emily.

Emily nodded as the doctor laid the baby on the end of the bed.

"W...What's wrong with Meg?" Daniel croaked, eyelids still heavy.

"She's fine," Emily replied without looking at him.

Daniel knew Emily wasn't going to tell him.

"Doctor what's wrong with my daughter?"

The doctor sighed quietly and after finishing he handed the baby back to Emily.

"She had a seizure; febrile convulsion. She's fine now, it's was just from her fever."

Daniel sunk back into the bed trying to take it in. He hadn't been there for Emily or Meg when he should've been. Emily saw the guilt in his eyes.

"It's not your fault," she whispered kissing the side of his head, "Just rest, we will talk in the morning."