A Lack of Attention

"Can you feel them?" Emily asked smiling as Daniel wrapped his arms around her from behind as she stood waiting for the kettle to boil. "Yeah. They are moving around heaps." He smiled gently kissing the back of her neck. "How did you sleep?" "I always sleep well when you are beside me." "Then why are you up so early?" "I was contemplating going for a swim actually."

Daniel smiled knowing he should have expected that answer from his wife's mouth. The end of January was still hot and Emily had swam most days either early morning or late night. She was glowing and more relaxed than he'd seen her in a long time. Making 20 weeks was an achievement that neither of the two expected to reach. They'd only made it this far once- when they'd had Meg. Victoria had already started buying endless amounts of pink clothes and toys yet Emily was far from surprised. She leaned her head back onto Daniels shoulder and enjoyed the feeling as his strong arms encompassing her and holding her belly.

She poured a tea and then Daniel a coffee and sat down briefly at the island bench. Daniel noticed as she started daydreaming as she looked out the window. It was clear that she'd had a lot on her mind lately and it was starting to stress her out. The press had been keeping tabs on her since their pregnancy announcement, so much so it was difficult for her to leave the house alone. She's been working hard to organise the final charity ball for the summer in order to raise some more funds and on top was helping Victoria organise the final party of the summer before most left town. Not to mention her constant worry about the health of her twin girls. She seemed to have so much on her mind it didn't surprise Daniel that she drifted off every now and then into her own thoughts. It wasn't until Daniel placed Meg in her lap that she broke out of it and kissed her blonde curls. "Good morning baby girl." "Ems, I know I said I'd take you out for dinner tonight. But dads called me into a meeting." "What for?" She asked looking up slightly annoyed. "Work- the usual. Anyway I'm still going to take you out and then I'll drop you home and meet dad at the South Fork. I just thought it might be easier if I stayed there tonight."

Emily looked up skeptically at her husband. He'd given her no reason to believe he'd been unfaithful, or was with another woman but something about today gave her a strange feeling. "Okay, what ever you have to do," she said smiling slightly. Daniel wanted to be mad at seeing the small amount of doubt she had in her mind but he knew she'd been having a hard time and was insecure. He reached across the bench and took her hand giving it a light squeeze. "I love you Ems." "I love you too. I'm going to head out for a swim." "Alright be safe, I'll get Meg some breakfast."

Emily slowly climbed the stairs as Daniel lifted Meg into the high chair. When she returned a few minutes later she had a light shawl covering her shoulders and a red one piece covering her stomach. She looked over at Daniel feeding Meg and couldn't help but smile. He loved their little girl so much and she couldn't think of anyone else to share her children with. What happened next, she wasn't quite sure of. She must have tripped on one of the baby toys while her eyes were on Daniel and Meg, and she didn't realise she was falling until it was too late.
Her body hit the side of the couch and she caught herself before falling any further.

Daniel immediately moved from the kitchen. "Em?" He asked stepping forward by not getting a reply. "Emily?" He placed two hands on her sides as she lent on the couch and she jumped. "Are you okay?" "Yeah," she whispered turning around to face him while breathing heavily. "I just got a fright." He gently caressed her cheek and moved a strand of hair from her eyes. "Are you sure?" He placed one hand onto her stomach next to hers. "Yeah, yeah I'm fine. I didn't hit the sofa that hard, I caught myself."

Daniel could tell she was shaken but he didn't want to push it. He placed a small kiss on her forehead and embraced her in a hug. Once she was calm again she let go of a small smile before mumbling a few words and then heading out to swim.