BGM - Woo Me

"It won't make a difference if I'm incomplete" - quote prompt request

I can't decide if I want really happy or really sad 🤔

Calum
"Calum Fucking Hood I swear to God that if you haven't started writing your vows I'm going to eat all the ice cream in the freezer," Luke threatened loudly from the kitchen as Calum sat hunched over his favorite notebook at the table. He'd been staring at the blank paper for hours, unsure of even where to start. It was his idea to write personal vows because, well, he loved writing and he'd written so many songs about you that writing a little speech about his endless affection seemed simple.

It wasn't. How was he supposed to stay on the right side of sappy (and appropriate) while summing up all of his feelings for you in only a very limited amount of words?! He should've listened to Luke when he told him he'd regret putting the pressure on himself during what was supposed to be a happy, celebratory day. Not that he'd ever admit to Luke that he was right even under the threat of death.

When he heard the telltale whoosh of the freezer door opening he rolled his eyes, "I was under the impression you were going to do that anyway Luke. Besides, I have started." It was a dangerous lie and he knew it.

"Oh really?" The sarcasm was thick in Luke's tone and he was quick to lean over the counter to stare Calum down. There was a cocky smirk on his chocolate-stained lips as he narrowed his eyes, "if you've started, what have you written down so far?"

Calum huffed, "it's personal, I'm not telling you." It was a clear lie that only made Luke's smile widen to a grin and a spoon was thrust in his direction, "don't lie to me mate, I know you've written jack shit."

Calum groaned and rolled his eyes, "you're obnoxious. What kind of best man comes over just to annoy the groom while he's busy writing probably one of the most important speeches of his life?"

"A good one," Luke retorted, "a great one actually. One that knows his best friend needs the help because otherwise he'll try to ad-fucking-lib one of the most important speeches of his life." Luke chuckled and shoved another giant scoop of chocolate ice cream in his mouth. Unfortunately, he was right again as Calum had been toying with the idea of going in with just some vague ideas of what he wanted to say and putting it together in the moment. To be fair though, he did some of his best thinking when he was with you, so it made sense to wait so that in the moment he could just tell you why he wanted to marry you and show everyone his devotion by repeating the promises he'd been telling you from the moment he'd laid eyes on you.

God. He loved you so much. "She's just so perfect Luke, I want it to be perfect and I don't think I can prewrite anything I'll ever be happy enough with."

"That's bullshit Calum and you know it. Y/N managed to write her vows, they've been done for over a week now, Sierra helped her and apparently they're pretty great. That's why we-"

Calum's head rose sharply, "hold up. 'We?' Who's the one getting married here?!"

"Well you, at least at the moment," Luke conceded, "but I'm contributing so it's a 'we' statement."

Calum was honestly baffled. "Luke I don't care if you write the whole thing, since I'm the one getting married to Y/N they're my vows. We're not marrying her so they're not ours."

"Whatever," Luke dropped it and walked out of the kitchen with his half-finished pint of ice cream in tow. "We can argue semantics later, but there needs to be something written down first so that there's something to argue about. Now I'm going to be honest, I've never written any wedding vows before-"

"Well no shit, I'd be pretty concerned if you had considering you've never been married," Calum glared at Luke. And maybe he was being a little sassier than he needed to be considering Luke was there completely of his own volition solely to help him, but he was frustrated and it was hard to be completely sincere.