10 | you can't trust anyone

"Hi guys! How we doin' on this fine morning?"

Lottie groaned internally as Raphael joined their breakfast table. Final exams were in a week, and if anyone thought that studying at breakfast on a rainy day counted as a 'fine morning', they were delusional. 

Ellie hit her head several times with her textbook, before looking up at Raphael. "I feel like absolute crap." 

Raphael laughed, and sat down. He waved at Percy, who waved back. Percy was looking better these days. He was more active, and wasn't constantly tired. But the threat of the Leviathan still remained. 

At the table was Binah, Saskia, and Anastacia. Raphael's eyes widened as he saw Saskia. 

"Saskia, you're back!" he yelled, jumping up and smothering his friend in a hug. Saskia's face was bright red, and she looked extremely awkward with Raphael's arms around her neck. 

"Yeah, yeah, you can let go, Raph." she choked, patting his arm. He let go, sitting back down. He pulled out a manuscript. He flicked through it, until he reached a certain page. 

"Does anyone know when Jamie's coming back? I need some help on this script for my Drama exam." Raph said, eyes glued on the page. 

Everyone froze, except Percy, who was eating his buttered toast. Ellie dropped her spoon of cereal, mouth still open. Binah cleared her throat. "Um.. Raphael?"

"Yeah?" he responded,  eyes still on his page. 

"Jamie ran away." 

There was a sound of ripping paper. Raphael held a small piece of paper in his fingers, eyes widened in shock. Lottie felt horrible. They should've told him long before. 

"Jamie... ran away?" he said in disbelief. Lottie nodded. "It's the only explanation." she muttered, eyes watering. 

The table was silent for a while as they let the information sink into him. 

"So... after three weeks, none of you thought to tell me that Jamie was missing?" Raphael finally looked up, and Lottie could see the hurt in his eyes. She looked away, nodding. 

"It's not that simple, Raph. We have to be careful-"

"Careful my ass." he yelled. The table was silent once more, and even Percy stopped eating to stare at him. Raphael stood up abruptly. 

"Tell me what I miss in class, will you, Anastacia?" his voice was cold as he gathered his things and left, breakfast untouched. 

Ellie sighed loudly. Lottie's mind churned. There was something familiar in Raphael's behaviour... She looked up and saw Binah staring across the table directly at her with a pointed look. Lottie nodded ever so slightly, and stood up. 

Suddenly, everyone's eyes were on her. She blushed in embarrassment. "I'm just going to pack all my textbooks away... I'll meet you in class." she declared, walking off.

She needed to find Raphael. To explain the situation. Turning around the corner into the rose garden, she checked the greenhouse. No one. 

She check the library. Still no one. 

With a sigh, she headed for the Elwin statue. Making sure no one was looking, she activated the secret entrance, and headed inside. 

Bingo. 

Raphael was sitting in the love chair, curled up. He was sniffling softly, rocking himself. 

"Raphael?" she called out. The sniffling stopped immediately. Lottie walked slowly towards him. He looked up and smiled softly.