17 | miss pumpkin

The next morning, Ellie and Lottie walked into the Ivy dining hall to see all the students excitedly buzzing. They hadn't seen Ivy like that since Horace being poisoned the previous year. 

They sat down at their usual to table when Binah came up to them. Lottie offered her a weak smile. 

The girls hadn't slept much that night, staying up to chat and steal food from the Ivy kitchen. It was a wonder they didn't get caught. Perhaps Professor Devine had a day off?

"Girls!" Binah greeted them, "There's a new teacher coming, and she starts today."

Lottie's interest piqued up, looking up at Binah. New teacher? "Seriously, on the second last day?" she asked, stifling a yawn. She shared a look with Ellie, and they looked back up at Binah for explanation. 

"Her name's Miss Pumpkin-" Lottie frowned- "and she's going to be our new royal history professor."  Binah continued, too excited to noticed Lottie's agitated state. "For next term, of course." she added. Lottie's mind was working over time. 

Miss Pumpkin? There was only one Pumpkin she knew of that was her-

Wait. June....

Lottie stifled a gasp of horror, but Binah caught on. "Lottie, what's wrong?" she asked quietly. Lottie spaced out, dimly aware of Binah. "Ellie, we need to see her." she said urgently, gripping her friend's arm. Ellie nodded, and the two started getting out of their seats.

"Lottie, we're going to see her next period." Binah soothed, pushing Lottie gently back into her seat. "We've her for elective." 

Lottie slowly relaxed back into her seat. She took a quick breath, before explaining the situation to Binah. 

"Binah, I haven't received any letters recently, but the last one I got was one sent from a 'June Pumpkin' from Leviathan." Binah stared at Lottie, blank faced. Lottie blinked. "Binah?"

"Sorry, just thinking." Binah said, pushing her glasses back up her nose. She cleared her throat. "Well, I'm going to go get my things for class. You two should, as well." she said, voice far away. With that, Binah left.

Ellie and Lottie shared a look. 

"That was weird..." Ellie murmured, taking a large chunk of toast and eating it. Lottie nodded, mind somewhere in space. 

🐺

Lottie yawned as she took a seat in her royal history class. Plopping down into her chair, she couldn't get that letter out of her head. She could barely register the fellow students trooping into the classroom. 

"Morning, class!"

Lottie's attention was caught by Professor Adina Devine as she sauntered into the cozy room with a intricate teapot. Trailing closely behind was a tall, young woman. She had the same blonde curls as Lottie. Her baby face had rosy cheeks and sparkling blue eyes. 

It was almost as if Lottie was looking into a mirror. 

"Everyone, this is Miss Pumpkin. She will be here for the last few days, as she will be taking this class next term." Professor Devine said. Lottie looked up, and offered a feeble wave. The woman locked eyes with her, and Lottie was taken aback by glare shot at her. It lasted for a split second before the woman resumed her sweet smile. 

What is she doing here?

What does she want with me?

Is she here to take Ellie?

Lottie forced herself to pay attention. "Morning students!" Miss Pumpkin greeted them. Lottie took note on how sweet she sounded, almost like the Tompkins Twins. "Since this is a small class, we can be cozy and get to know each other little more."