12 | medicate

Look at the pic (scroll->). That's my art! Follow me on Insta pizz.brio

Trigger warning

---

Lottie shivered and pulled her blazer tighter around her as the whip whipped her hair across her face. She was on her dormitory balcony, watching the sunset. It was beautiful. 

A spread of warmth shifted onto her shoulders. Lottie looked over her shoulder to see Ellie placing a blanket over her shoulders. She smiled gratefully. Quietly, Ellie stood next to her as they watched the last of the light snuff out. 

"Sometimes I blame myself."

Lottie didn't look at Ellie, instead fixing her gaze on the bruised sky. 

"Sometimes... I think that Jamie left because of me."

Ellie sighed softly. She shifted on her feet, resting her elbows on the rail. She started humming. 

"Can you medicate, a broken heart?" she sang softly. Lottie looked at her, intrigued. 

"Make your tragedies a work of art." she continued. Lottie closed her eyes and listened to Ellie's voice. It was soft, tender. But she could hear the pain behind the lyrics. 

Medicate a broken heart. 

Build your walls up just to rip them apart. 

Goosebumps tickled Lottie's arms as she shivered, pulled into Ellie's voice. 

"Dr. Smile, kill me with kindness." Ellie started tapping her foot. 

 "And don't ask about the side effects."

Swallow hard,  kill sadness with science. 

But the aftermath might make you sick. 

Ellie took a short breath in, letting her voice quiver. 

Should I take a pill. 

To numb the pain. 

Change the chemicals inside my brain. 

I worry I, won't be the same. 

But I guess that that's the point?

Lottie could hear the raw pain. It made her heart ache. 

Ellie finished, the lamps on the balcony flickering to life as night fell. All that was heard was the crickets, and occasional bird flying over. 

"That was beautiful." Lottie whispered. Ellie didn't reply. Lottie heard a sniff, and looked over to Ellie in alarm. 

She was leaning on the rail, her head bowed. Her ravan hair covered her face, but Lottie knew she was crying. 

"Ellie!" she whispered. 

She shrugged off her blanket, putting it over her best friend's shoulders, hugging her tightly. Ellie's shoulders started shaking as she sobbed. The lyrics of Ellie's song rang in Lottie's head. 

Can you medicate a broken heart?

Make you tragedies a work of art. 

Medicate, a broken heart?

Build your walls up just to rip them apart. 

Is this the way to fix this or is this a quick fix?

I really couldn't say.

Can you medicate, medicate.

Medicate it away?