6 | yes, i do

Lottie and Ellie were in the Stratus Library with Binah, studying for their upcoming exams. It was quiet until Ellie slammed her maths textbook shut. Lottie jumped, looking at Ellie. 

"What is the purpose of all this?" Ellie groaned, "DO WE EVEN USE THIS IN REAL LIFE?" 

Lottie glared at her. "Ellie, it's a library." she chided. Lottie knew she being unfair on her friends, especially Ellie. But exams were coming up, and she couldn't risk losing her bursary. It didn't help that she had problems sleeping. 

She had been spending time thinking about Jamie, stressed. 

Her protecter.

Her friend. 

Her partizan. 

Her Jamie. 

Ellie gave Lottie a resentful look. Binah cleared her throat. "Ellie, to be quite frank, if you look through your textbooks, you'd find many real life examples in which trigonometry is utilised." she stated. 

Lottie felt guilty, knowing that neither of them deserved this. She drew in a deep breath. 

"Look guys, I'm really sorry. I've just been... preoccupied." she muttered. She pretended to be reading her books, but a tear rolled down her nose, splashing onto the page. 

"Lottie, there isn't an easy way around this. We just have to hope. By now, I'm sure the King has sent out a searching party?" Binah asked. Lottie nodded, keeping her eyes down. She couldn't bear to make anyone worried about her. 

"Lottie. Jamie will be ok, I promise-"

"Ellie!" Lottie cut her off, tears rolling out steadily. "You don't even know where he is, and for all we know he's run off to the Leviathan, which means they have an advantage!" she shouted. Silence enveloped the trio, tension thick. 

Lottie sniffed. "I'm sorry." she croaked. She got up, and ran out of the library. She left her things behind, turning around the corner. She ran all the way to her dorm, not bothering to sign in. 

She finally reached her bed, lungs heaving, metallic taste thick in her mouth. Planting face first into her pillow, she started crying. 

Lottie had so much more to say to Ellie. Ellie had been acting like everything was normal, like Jamie's escaped from the Maravish royal family hadn't been a stab to all of their hearts. 

Like Jamie never existed. 

She sobbed, wrapping her arms around her pillow, curling up into a ball. She didn't care if her shoes got her covers dirty.

She regretted not being there for him. 

She regretted not realising her feelings for Jamie earlier. 

She regretted everything. 

You can't help someone who doesn't want to helped. 

🐺

Jamie opened his eyes to the sound of the door opening. He guessed that it was around midday, from the bright streaming through the small window just below the ceiling. 

The same woman he had met when he was confined walked in. Pain engulfed his chest. He took a shaky breath in. There was a pressing cold against his chest, where his pendant usually was. He instinctively reached up to touch the pendant, but remembered he had take in off. He prayed it was still in his room at the palace. 

The woman sat next to Jamie on her bed, stroking a tender finger on his cheek. God, she even smelt like Lottie, the same chocolate and coffee scent that floated around her. He tensed. Staring at the door, he ignored the woman.