Commander Sendak

Firstly I'd like to apologise for the delay. I'll explain my neglect at the end of the chapter, so enjoy!

***

After another droned out meeting, the relief mission was well underway. Lance and Shiro headed off with Nara and Allura to the harshest planets that were under Galra oppression. Kolivan and the Blade, along with Pidge, Coran and Lotor headed to the clustered areas closest to the Galra fleet. With their large numbers, they would be able to visit each planet all at once. Keith found himself flying beside Hunk and his yellow lion. Sendak was crammed between the metal of Red's cockpit silent and foreboding. The three of them were heading to the furthest parts of the universe, joined by the rebels-who held the most respect with those who lived within those sectors.

"Alright guys, the first planet, Riguru, was actually seized by Sendak. So, expect some kind of confrontation." Matt's voice flittered through the lion. Keith looked over at Sendak who stared intensely back. The red paladin didn't say anything, and he knew the large Galra general wasn't going to make any excuses for what he had done, let alone apologise. They landed and Keith looked out as they were greeted with a large crowd. The people were happy, their feathered hair stood on end and each glowed in variations of colour. Their eyes were almost cat-like, paired well with their peach skin tone. Sendak was already halfway out the lion when Keith came to his senses and scrambled after him.

"Hey, you really think it's a good idea to show your face here?" Keith grabbed the Galra's arm, swiftly snapping it back to his side after he realised where he had placed it.

"If we are to make amends, I should be present. No?" Sendak stated without emotion, gazing down Keith who gulped under his stare. He could see his fearful features reflected in Sendak's red prosthetic eye and he quickly blanked his emotions. Sendak smirked a little before continuing, feeling Keith shadow his path. When they exited the lion, they were ignored. Hunk and the rebels who had already emerged were being hugged and praised. The sudden gasp of terror that came from beside Keith had both he and Sendak turning to see a small boy. He was whimpering at the sight of the Galra general, hands shaking in front of his trembling lips. That one tiny intake of breath seemed to alert all those around them. Keith watched the sea of happy faces turn to resentment and fear. Sendak didn't seem phased by the sudden cold aura and pushed himself forward. The people hastily parted a path as they whispered to each other in despair. Keith caught Hunk's eye and the yellow paladin shrugged not knowing what to do. Even Matt was lost on what to do, having expected Sendak to stay in the red lion. They watched as the Galra general approached their new founded leader and placed a hand to his chest in respect.

"I hope you allow my presence here, I do not wish to cause any aggravation," Sendak spoke as if he didn't have a thousand spiteful eyes on him. The leader looked to Matt who blinked in surprise. The rebel nodded and motioned for him to accept.

"I suppose with the new era of peace, we can allow you sanction." The leader replied, watching as Sendak lifted his head and analysed him for a moment. The Galra simply rose and turned back returning to Keith's side.

Matt proceeded to explain why they were here and soon, Keith found himself beside the rebel handing out blankets. The red paladin looked over to Hunk who supposedly supervising Sendak and found himself smiling in amusement. Hunk was attempting to wrench a gleeful laughing child off Sendak's arm. The Galra general barked at the yellow paladin to tug harder.

"Do you really think Sendak's on our side?" Matt asked watching from beside Keith. The red paladin looked at the rebel before shrugging in uncertainty.

"Honestly, I don't know. I know he loves my mother, but he's as bloodthirsty as they come." Keith replied. He smiled awkwardly at the woman that overheard him and offered her a blanket. He looked at Matt after the woman gave him the look of disapproval and flushed a little in embarrassment as the rebel laughed at him.