Chapter 1

"Hey Tetsu, uncle Tetsu!"

I stood up, brushing my azure hair out of my eyes and looked towards the little red head running towards me, something in her hand. I knelt beside her and she skidded to a stop, her green eyes bright as she showed me the small ladybug in her hands.

"Look what I found! I want to keep it."

"That's amazing Yui but you can't keep it."

"But I want to! I love it and I want to keep it!"

"If you really love it then you will let it go. It can't be nice to be cooped up in a jar all it's life and what if it has friends or family? They would miss each other. Just like you miss your daddy when he is at work."

The little girl bit her lip but then with a sigh opened up her hand and watched the small bug fly away. I ruffled her hair just as I heard raised voices and crying. With a sigh I headed over and broke up the fight between two boys. The twins and Yui were all I had left late in the afternoon since the other children had already been picked up.

"Have you been causing Kuroko Sensei trouble today?"

The boys who I had scolded cheered up and ran towards the woman coming through the gate. Their mother smiled and picked the toddlers up, kissing them.

"I am sorry I am late, I will pay you extra."

I dusted off my apron and shook my head.

"There is no need. I am here to help."

"You must be angel, you can't be from around here. You opened up this day care years ago, barely charge anything to watch the kids from sun up to sun down and don't ask for anything. How are you still single?"

I just smiled and shrugged my shoulders.

"I'm just not interested in sharing my life like that. These kids are enough for me."

"It's such a shame. If you ever change your mind I have some friends who think you're cute, even though you are younger than us."

Before I could even think of an answer the gate opened and a tall man with brown hair and a kind face strolled in.

"Yo, Kuroko!"

He moved over to me and hugged me around the shoulders, ruffling my hair before turning to Yui.

"Yoshi!"

The little girl ran and jumped at the man who easily scooped her up and sat her on his shoulders. She squealed with laughter as Kiyoshi galloped around the yard and she giggled. The woman watched it all and I could see her getting the wrong idea about Kiyoshi and I but if it stopped them from trying to match me up with someone then that was fine. She said her goodbyes and I walked them to the gate. When they were gone I sighed and stretched out my back before heading back inside to where Kiyoshi and Yui were packing up.

"So, does this mean daddy is late again today?"

I looked over, wanting to cheer her up as she stared down at her skirt, picking at some of the loose fibres.

"Yes, but he is catching bad guys, so he is kind of like a super hero, don't you think? And Junpei is with him too so I thought why not the three of us go out and get some pizza from that new Italian place? I hear it's delicious."

"Can I pick which one we get?"

"I wouldn't have it any way. So go get your coat and shoes."

She skipped off, happy and smiling and I hung up my apron as I looked over my shoulder at my old friend.