Chapter 18

Akashi's POV

I walked through the door, ignoring the glares from the police men behind me and looked at the trashed room in front of me. The flowers I had bought Kuroko where scattered around the room and trampled, as if the person responsible was stomping on our relationship. Outside I could see parents and two children crying and talking to even more police officers, it really put me out being around so many but at least Ryu allowed me in other wise I would not have the luxury of entering a crime scene.

"Akashi."

I looked up at the sound of my name to see Kiyoshi sitting on the couch, a paramedic looking at a wound on his arm, trying to get the tall man to sit still long enough that he could be patched up. Hyuga stood next to him also trying to keep him still. He was in uniform so he must have been on patrol. Sure enough, there was Kagami standing nearby, Yui on his hip as he talked on his phone.

"Kiyoshi, sit down and get patched up otherwise your husband is going to get mad."

My words had an instant effect and he finally stopped moving around and Hyuga gave me a small smile in gratitude.

"He was with a mafia member."

"No wonder there was so much trouble in this place."

Kiyoshi flushed red with anger as Hyuga turned away, adjusting his glasses but I turned to glare at the officers who blanched and quickly moved away.

"I guess it won't be long until the whole precinct knows about you two, huh? I thought it was still a secret."

"It's not like we were hiding it, we just didn't think it anyone's business."

His voice was loud enough that the other officers found other things to do rather than eavesdrop on us. With a sigh he turned back to me, eyes red behind his glasses. Even though he put on a brave front he was worried.

"No, we are settled here and it's not like Kiyoshi would leave you or Kuroko"-

Kiyoshi flinched at the mention of the bluenette and Hyuga's eyes flashed with regret.

"Is his wound done?"

"Well, I'd like to get him to the hospital to rule out anything worse but the bullet is out and I've stopped the bleeding."

"Can you give us a moment?"

"I'm sorry, who are you?"

Kagami came over and clapped the paramedic on the shoulder.

"It's fine, he is here with the chief's permission. He is on this case as well."

With the assurance of two officers the paramedic had no choice but to move on and at last, we were alone and able to speak freely.

Before anyone could say anything I felt a heavy presence as Kagami leant over and grasped my shoulder, squeezing and pushing down hard enough that a lesser man would have buckled or winced at the strain but I simply stared at him, raising an eye brow in question.

"I heard you threatened my father."

I met his glare with one of my own, the tension growing to a point you could cut it with a knife.

"Kagami, calm down. I should be the one getting that glare, I started it and said even worse things."

Fifteen Minutes Earlier

The blood was still wet on the side walk and I could see the splatters of it on the windshield that told me the men inside the car were also dead. Execution style, they hadn't seen it coming. The bodies on the ground that were draped in red stained sheets, the ones leaking blood everywhere had fought back but it had not been enough. I glanced at the doorway into the day care and wanted nothing more than to run inside but it was useless. For one, police guarded the entrance and I had only been permitted to stand on this side of the barricade, for the second reason, the one I was looking for wasn't there anymore. Kiyoshi had sent just a short message before the authorities had arrived.