Chapter 24

Akashi couldn't come back home that night, deciding to sleep in his office because after making that announcement of course his office had been bombarded so he held a press conference late in the afternoon. I had watched it all at home on our bed, hugging Nigou as my emotions raged inside of me. Embarrassment, joy and pride that he had chosen to reveal to the world that we were together. I knew it would probably bring about problems further down the road because of who our families were but in this moment, I didn't care. I had meant every word, I loved him and wanted to be with him forever, no matter what that might bring. 

The congratulatory messages and phone calls kept streaming in. Kise was mad that Aomine and I hadn't told him until we made him understand that neither of us knew about it either. Then came talks of when the wedding would be, what were my plans and I had to end the conversation. Uncle Souji found me at dinner and hugged me saying he was glad that I was now going to properly join the family. I had thought he might be a bit disappointed but he was nothing but ecstatic that we were together again. 

The next day I waited for Akashi to come home but the news and tabloids didn't stop reporting about it and it was late afternoon when I realised he might not make it home again so I grabbed my phone, made a couple phone calls before going out in search of Kiyoshi. He was sitting in the lounge room watching some sports program. He jumped to his feet brushing crumbs off his slacks and I felt a twinge of guilt at that. Because I had been staying at home so had Kiyoshi and Aomine been locked up inside with me. I had been so caught up in my own dramas I had forgotten about those beside me, but all of that would change today.

"Could you go and find Aomine and let him know that as soon as you guys are ready I would like to head out?"

I knew that there was a sort of order to be followed. Part of my memories as a child and part of being in this house had taught me that. Kiyoshi was my second sworn brother, he was basically my third, after Mayuzumi, how Midorima was for Akashi. That gave him seniority over whoever else was with us, Aomine included. I had been worried about how to handle it, since Kiyoshi was part of my group but Aomine was just working with us, still being under Akashi. I had talked to Mayuzumi about it and he had told me how it all worked. 

"No problem, when did you want to leave?"

"Well whenever you are ready, I'm in no rush."

"It's your choice Kuroko, you are the boss after all. If you wanted to go right now, we would."

I shifted, a bit uncomfortable over the power and the thought that there were probably many people who treated there men like that. Only orders, do it now, no second chances.

"Sorry, I know your not like that. Meet you at the entrance in thirty minutes?"

The relief must have been evident on my face because he reached over and ruffled my hair before heading off. 

Exactly thirty minutes later we were driving out of the estate. I sat in the back with Kiyoshi driving, Aomine in the passenger seat. It felt odd, being chauffeured like this. I had gotten used to it when I was in high school but at that time Akashi had been in the back seat with me. Like this, it was impossible to ignore that fact that I was someone who needed protection. 

We drove past the entrance and I sunk further into my seat, pulling my hood up to cover my hair and face as the large group of reporters and photographers turned to see who had arrived. We kept going, showing security our pass as we were let into the underground parking lot. I had not realised it was still so crazy.

Midorima was waiting for us at a reserved parking spot right near the elevator. He moved towards us and opened the door for me and I stepped out. Aomine and Kiyoshi also got out and told Kiyoshi to give the keys to Aomine. He did and both men looked confused so instead I pointed wordlessly to a car parked behind us. Hyuga was leaning against it a huge smile on his face as he waved at his husband. Kiyoshi looked shocked and glanced between me and his husband, as if the strain to be looking anywhere else but at the dark haired man was too much.