Chapter 9

I watched the sun setting as I sat out the front with Yui as we waited for Kagami to come and pick her up. It was Monday and I had spent all day thinking about Akashi. My whole mind was filled with just him and the kids had asked many times if I was okay and honestly, I didn't know if I was. My emotions were a big mess in my heart and I had no idea how I was going to face the dinner tonight. I liked seeing my uncle but having Akashi there as well while I was so confused was just too much. I still remembered the kiss from the other night and how easy and right it had felt. 

"Uncle Tetsu, your making your frowny face again."

I looked over to see her furrowing her own brows to try and copy how my face must be and I couldn't help the smile and laugh that escaped me.

"Sorry Yui."

"Hey guys."

"Daddy!"

I stood up, brushing the dirt of my pants as I smiled at Yui running into her fathers arms who easily swung her up and settled her on his shoulders as he didn't break his stride. As Kagami came closer I noticed a bandage sticking out from underneath his long sleeve. He noticed me looking and put Yui on the ground.

"Go and grab your things."

She ran inside and when I was sure she was out of ear shot I pointed to the injury which he pulled his sleeve back over to cover.

"Are you okay?"

"Yea, just some idiot drunk with a bottle. I don't want Yui to know, she gets worried."

"Well, you do a dangerous job. She's old enough to know that and she sees the injuries on Aomine, Kiyoshi and you enough."

"Well, it's our job, it isn't glamorous. Sometimes I wonder what her mother would think of her growing up around such rough men."

"I am sure she wouldn't mind. She knows everyone would protect her as if she was their own."

Kagami nodded and I glanced inside to see Yui was still running around, gathering her things.

"Look Kagami, an I ask a favour?"

"Of course, your helping me out by having Yui all the time, anything I can do to help."

"I want all the information you have about Akashi and what he has been doing for the past seven years."

I met his gaze to see him frowning down at me. 

"Kuroko, you said you didn't want to know."

"I know, I know what I said but some things he said the other night when I saw him. Things just don't add up."

"What did he say? Your not forgiving him are you?"

"No. I mean, I don't know. I'm still angry and still hate the betrayal but I just, I dunno, I just need the truth. I'm trying to find a reason for what he did. I haven't had closure and it's like a wound festering inside of me. I need to finish this chapter, close the book on our relationship or continue it I just don't know."

He surprised me by pulling me into a hug.

"Please don't make that face. You're like a wounded puppy dog. I will get together all my info and I will bring it tomorrow when I drop Yui off."

Yui finally came back outside with all her things and I waved them off before returning to lock up everything inside. When I was done I found a car waiting for me on the street, Mayuzumi leaning against it. I gave him a wry smile as I buckled myself in.

"You don't have to be here you know, I can look after myself."

"I know you can but I also know that it can't be easy for you tonight, especially since you were so spaced out today."