Part 14-Stone

"You need surgery, as soon as possible."

"There's no other option? I would prefer not to be out of commission for a few days."

"Try a few weeks, possibly over a month. And no, there's no other options, unless you want further complications."

Viggo groaned and rubbed his thumbs into his eyes, irritated, pain-wracked, and generally having a miserable day. The issue at hand? A freaking bladder stone.

"Fine. Can you do it tomorrow? I just want this over with." The healer nodded with a smile. "I can have your brother take over your duties until you are recovered."

The last few months for Viggo had been agony. But considering that the pain was in some rather private bits, he had tried to keep it a secret- until his personal healer had insisted on a physical. Her name was Ola, and somehow, her steely gray eyes could drag any truth out of Viggo. Dang, it felt like being interrogated by his mother.

Still, maybe telling Ola and having the surgery was for the best. Viggo's stomach and lower bits had ached constantly, making him unable to ride his dragon. Ryker had the same problems a few years previously and had gone away to have the surgery, but somehow Viggo had never made the connection.

The next morning, Ryker left to take care of Viggo's duties. The younger brother waited nervously as Ola explained the surgery, cursing himself for his weak feelings. Still, it wasn't like there was no reason for Viggo to be so worried- vikings had no anesthetic, and many people died under a surgeon's blade. Viggo trusted Ola- she kept her instruments clean and worked fast- but it would likely still be the worst torture of Viggo's life.

Ola forced several cups of various spirits and potions down Viggo's throat, making him feel dizzy and sick- he hadn't eaten that morning on her orders, and the drink settled uneasily in his empty stomach. Then she guided Viggo to a flat pallet laid across a table, tying his limbs down. "My apologies, I can't have you hitting me when I stick a knife in your backside."

Viggo chuckled at that, but it turned into a gasp when she made the first cut. Ola went quickly, but Viggo still shivered and jerked, even with the numbing of the alcohol mixture. "Almost done sir, almost done. I'm almost to the stone, it'll be out soon."

The wiry viking could feel blood running down each side of his back, groaning at the intensifying pain. Ola patted his shoulder before cutting even deeper, making Viggo scream into his gag. "You should have passed out before this. Feeling dizzy at all?"

Viggo tried to nod and his head spun. The healer smiled gently and continued to work, recognizing the dizziness in her boss's eyes. "Just close your eyes, drift away..." Once the viking was unconscious, Ola finished as quickly as she could, sealing the wound with a red-hot iron.

Ryker was waiting outside the room, and he blanched at her red-stained hands. Ola showed him the large stone with a grin. "He didn't lose too much blood, I think he'll be alright. Want to sit with him?"

Ryker nodded and hurried past her, quickly thanking her with a shaky smile. Ola watched him go, before closing the door to give him some privacy as Viggo slowly made his way back to wakefulness.