Part 20-Blindness (Part 1)

Ryker would never forget the sound of Viggo's scream. He turned just in time to see his brother howling in pain, scratching at his face. Something had been thrown in his eyes by a soldier, who turned and ran from the sinking ship. As water rushed into the room, Ryker only had time to grab his brother's arm before they were enveloped in darkness.

Viggo could feel wood beneath him. The rocking of waves. Someone sat beside him, their breathing loud in Viggo's ears. He opened his eyes, but the world was dark around him; it must be night then, how much time had passed? "Viggo! You're finally awake." So Ryker was with him then.

"Yes. Where are we?" Ryker paused at this question. "I managed to find a lifeboat when our ship sank. Can't you tell?" Viggo frowned. "Uh, no? Besides, we got attacked in the morning and it's night now. How long was I out?" Ryker paused again. "What can you see? Please, just answer."

Viggo growled and replied, "Nothing. Darkness. I can't even see myself. Why?" His brother sighed quietly. "I wasn't sure while you were unconscious. Before the ship was sank, someone threw something in your face. It's not night, you've been blinded."

Viggo's blood ran cold at this. "No. That can't... I can't- I'll heal. It won't be permanent." Ryker placed a hand on his shoulder. "Hopefully it won't be. I think there's an island on the horizon, so I'm going to try to paddle towards it okay?"

The younger grimborn sat up in the tiny boat, arms wrapped around his knees. If there was one thing that Viggo hated, more than anything, it was the sensation of helplessness. And now? He had no way to escape from that feeling.

The boat hit the sandy shore of the island with a thunk and Viggo gasped, gripping the side of the boat with one hand shakily. "Sorry, I forgot to warn you. Grab my hand." Viggo felt his brother's hand in his and cautiously stood up, Ryker guiding him out of the boat and up the beach.

"There's a tree here, just sit down- yeah, right there. Just stay put for a second okay? I'm going to drag up the boat and try to get a bit of shelter together, who knows how long we'll be here." Viggo nodded. "Can I help at all? I could... uhh..." Ryker shook his head, forgetting Viggo couldn't see it. "No, just rest a bit. We'll figure this out, promise."