Forced Together (Part 3)

Dagur woke when Viggo shook his shoulder, and after a few tries, managed to stand. "Alright, let's bust out of here. Crazy how much you can hate something after being trapped in it."

Viggo shrugged. "You look like you're gonna pass out, but okay. If all else fails I can use you as a shield." Dagur snorted but joined Viggo, the two pulling back the rock hiding them and heading out into the tunnels.

It didn't take long to reach an exit now that Dagur's head was clear. His leg ached, but it could take his weight, so Dagur considered himself lucky. "Okay, I count ten foot soldiers and fifteen archers." Viggo nodded. "Yeah, there's those and then there's hidden snipers. I tried to run out of here within an hour of getting trapped; it didn't go very well."

Dagur grinned, a little too happy to hear Viggo admit to a failure. "You still have that herbalist kit, yeah? I have an idea."

Half an hour later, Viggo and Dagur had a small pile of bombs, made from glaze balm and metal wires, usually used as splinting materials. Despite his best attempt, Viggo was impressed; he hadn't known how to do this.

The pair sneaked back up to the surface. Dagur hefted a bomb, grinning madly, and whispered, "Ready? You take the left, I'll go right. Then just try to dash past the snipers if you can." Viggo nodded curtly, once, and charged.

Screams filled the air as unsuspecting soldiers were blown skyward, a brilliant flash of light blinding the ones not caught in the blasts. Dagur was almost through the line, losing sight of Viggo among the smoke, and when he turned his head, someone tackled him to the ground. The assassin grinned, ready to plunge a knife into Dagur's throat-

Only to be thrown to the side by Viggo, who took the knife and swiftly killed the assassin. "Don't just stand there, run!" Viggo paused to yank Viggo to his feet and the two ran again, sprinting until the sounds of outraged soldiers were far behind them.

"Oh Thor! I haven't had a fight like that for a long time." Viggo laughed, flopping on his back into the grass. Viggo was smiling too, exhilarated by the risky battle. "You're surprisingly handy in a fight." The two sat in the grass, panting and grinning, before Dagur sat back, thoughtful. "So what now? I need to find my friends, but I'm not sure they would like to see you."

Viggo snorted. "Obviously. I'm going to circle around and find my brother and our forces, then get as far away from this stupid island as possible."

The two shook hands and went their separate ways, each strangely pleased after fighting alongside an enemy. It would be strange to be on opposing sides next time they met...