Chapter Four

By the time we got to the coordinates of where Jim was called, there were already some cops and journalists there, excited to hear the fresh news about the recent incident.

"Please, I'm going to ask you to go away and let us do our job."

I admire Captain Gordon, after everything he has experienced, he continues with a tranquility while performing his duties, which is something you can only see in movies.

We entered the building, had not been built recently, that is, it should have survived the dark year and only gave it a few touches ... since the conditions inside were not the most favorable.

I continued up the stairs behind Lucious, until he stopped in front of an open door, which he concluded was the scene of the crime. There were already two policemen who, as soon as they saw us, reported to the captain what had happened. There was a body on the floor. A woman in her late 30s, brown hair, neutral-colored clothing, her skin still had normal shades, which makes me realize that it was something that happened recently.

"Lucious and Harleen, you may already start looking for clues, I'll go outside and talk to the neighbors who gave the alert. Anything you find out, let me know! "

"Yes sir!"

"You think it was, another victim of that substance?"

"I think it's best to get the doubts out, I'll do a quick analysis."

"Harleen, here's a bruise on the head ... was that the cause of death?"

"Mmmm, Lucious, she introduces the substances!"

"Jim, can you get here, please?"

"What did you find out?"

"It looks like the victim was under the effect of those drugs we're telling you and also has a bruise on the head."

"She lived alone?"

"The neighbors say she had an 11-year-old daughter and her husband was killed during the dark year."

"Do they know the daughter's whereabouts?"

"Not! They only told me that they heard screams, and when they came to see the apartment was in this state and the woman was already dead. "

"This is very strange. On top of that, the windows are all closed. Did you mind if I look around the apartment? "

"You're at ease, Harleen. In the meantime, I'm going to make a call. "

There was a complete confusion in the living room and kitchen, obviously there was a fight here. You're right, it could only have been that! The mother was probably aggressive about the effects of the drugs and began to attack the daughter, who in defending herself, hit her mother with something, which could have caused that bruise.

The only room in the house is tidy, that is, the discussion has not reached this side. And the window is open and leads out to the fire escape, where the daughter may have fled in panic. Maybe she went downstairs, running, distressed ... if so, it's going to be difficult to find her, but if I were an innocent child, I would probably go to the place where I could hide and reflect on what had happened ... roof!

Better to be quiet climbing the stairs, I do not want her to run away as soon as she hears me. There was no need to climb many stairs to reach the roof. At first sight I did not see anything that looked like a child. Maybe I had been wrong.

What? You think she's behind one of the entrance walls?

If I get scared, it's your fault!

And there she is.

"Oh no ... please do not hurt me ..."

"Do not worry! I'm here to help!"

"I did not mean to ... I did not want to ..."

It was undoubtedly the child the neighbors mentioned. It was just like her mother.

"What happened?"

"If I tell you, you will arrest me and send me to a boarding school!"

"I'm not a police officer, I just analyze clues. You're my best track so far. And I wondered if your mother was taking some kind of medication? "

"Drugs? Not! My mother did not take drugs! "

"ok ... did you have a good relationship with her?"

"Before ... But now I feel that she was pushing me away ..."

"I know how you feel!"

"No, you do not know!"

"My mother also died when I was younger, it was difficult in the early days, but I later came to the conclusion that in all the times we spent together she did not love me, because my father paid me much more attention. She had problems ... and I believe that what happened to her, helped me to grow and become the person I am today. "

"I'm sorry ... I did not know."

"It does not matter. How rude of me, I did not introduce myself! I'm Harleen. "

"My name is Alison ..."

"Nice to meet you, Alison. If you do not feel comfortable to tell me, we can go for a walk and then ... "

"It was okay, before the dark year ... my family was like the others ... we were happy ... we had a house of our own ... until my sister disappeared from home after the bridges collapsed ..."

"Sister? Did you have a big sister? "

"Yes ... She used to be home late, but she always had time to tell me a story before I fell asleep ... but after what happened ... she stopped coming back ... my father was looking for her during the dark year ... I think he did find her, but after a day he forbade me and my mother to speek of her... He died ... trying to defend the city ... my mother and I managed to survive ... we came to this building because we did not have the money to go to another ... "

" I am so sorry... "

"She started to walk away from me ... she would leave me with our neighbors while she went to look for a job ... and I believed her, until she started bringing men home ..."

"Did any of them hurt you?"

"Not! I hid myself on this roff until they left ... Until a few days ago, my sister appeared at the door ... at least she looked like my sister, but she did not sound like her ... my mother prevented me from hugging her ... after a long talk, she's gone ... "

"Remember what they talked about?"

"Something about some drugs that my mother discovered she was trafficking with the help of a lot of criminals ... My mother already had a hidden sack ... she thought that my sister would kill her so nobody could find out ... Yesterday night, my mother gave me a little kiss and told me to run away from home in the morning and leave Gotham. Today, at dawn I did as she asked ... but I could not leave the side of the street ... I went home, and when I entered my mother was laughing madly ... and when she saw me began ... "

"Calm down, calm down ... take a deep breath!"

"She began to say that it was my fault ... if I did not exist she would have had a better life ... she started to chase after me ... I tried to defend myself with everything that came in hand ... I tied it up ... and beat it on her head ... and she fell ... "

 The murder weapon was literally at my side, an innocent baseball bat, wrapped in the hands of this little child like a stuffed teddybear. She had been through so much in such a short time. It was not her fault! I wrapped her in my arms so that she could let go of the tears she held at her ease.

"It's going to be alright, Alison! I promise!"

"I just want my family ..."

I know that words are of no use, but at this moment it is the only comfort I can give to this child.

"What's your sister's name, Alison?"

"Ecco ..."

⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️
Are you enjoy it so far? Give it a big like if you are👍👍❤️