Chapter Twenty-Four

Suddenly, I think of a subject: Jeremiah intended to attack Arkham today as Jim is out of town! And there's nothing I can do to stop it!

If I started screaming to try to tell anyone who runs this place, they still thought I'd be crazier than I already am! Getting out of here is easy, I could have done it, but I don't want to! Because I'm finally able to think for myself, and although I realized that the voices I heard aren't real and have been quiet at once, I feel a void inside me. As if something were missing ...

Suddenly I start to hear the sirens coming from outside and the light from the hallway turns red.

 IT'S HAPPENNIG! 

I couldn't stop him! It's my fault! If I had admitted earlier that I needed psychological support none of this would happen ...

The guard opened the door of my cell. He was probably going to take me to a holding cell with the other inmates so we would not run away. I hope they don't notice me.

The security guard comes in with handcuffs that come right into my hands, but instead of letting him handcuff me, I kick him in the middle of his legs, take his gun and shoot him.

WHAT DID I DO ???? NO! YOU COULDN'T HAVE DONE THAT !!! DENOUNCE YOURSELF! THE BLAME IS YOURS!!!

Please don't die, don't die ... NO! I can't have more blood in my hands !!!

This time it was me ... There were no voices or spirits to blame ... It was me ... I wanted to be free of them ... And I was ... But it seems that as much as I want they are part of my being .. What a hell am I saying???

The tears fall to me ... One ... Two ... Three ... Four ... It's impossible to hold them ...

"Ho, Harls ..."

The familiar voice shattered my whole being, but even that I didn't have the strength to lift my head to see who was the witness who was watching me in that state ...  I already knew the answer ...

"It's dead, you see, it doesn't move!" 

He started to kick the body, what started to perturb me.

"Leave me ... Please ..."

"I did that and look where you came from!"

"They don't stop ... I tried to silence them ... But I couldn't ..."

"Don't be like that, you know what?I've killed a lot of security guards too! Consider this a third experience in an a math exercise! It's the same thing!"

"Jeremiah, please ... Take what you want from Arkham and go ..."

"Actually, I came here to get an object my brother left here, a piece for my next plan, but Jenna told me you were here."

"Jenna? She's the one that put me here!"

"I know, I didn't understand why, but I thought it was fun!"

"Fun??? I'm suffering!"

"You could leave if you wanted to,  I know you're good at solving puzzles!"

"I need treatment!"

"No! You need to get free, like I did!"

"What do you mean?"

"You know what my trick is? I smile because it confuses people and because it is easier than explaining what is killing me inside!"

"And ...???"

"Well, releasing my demons set me free! Jerome, Bruce ... All I wanted was a normal family! I realized I couldn't have that because I wasn't normal! I was..."

"Sick ?!"

"No! I'm not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure! But Harls, we are special! We have a vision of our own!  Gifts that no one has!"

"You hear them too ??"

"Of course!!! Jerome and the old Jeremiah are still here! They helped me become what I am today! You just need to stop the battle inside of your head!"

"Please ..."

"You just need to ask ..."

"Help me please!"

"My pleasure! Set the Harls free!"

I took his hand and stood up. He guided me through the halls of Arkham. With every step we took, I felt free and at the same time I wasn't alone! I felt your presence again, but it wasn't like before, this time no one was controlling anyone, we were one! I watched Jeremiah's smile as we approached his henchmen and he gave orders. 

Were our hands still attached?

 For years our hands didn't touch like that. However, this time the touch was different ... We were not two teenagers playing games anymore ... We were adults with plans and ambitions!

After all Gotham despite taking what was left of my humanity added something else, I still can not explain what it is! But I am sure that whatever it is I will discover with time!

I heard someone approaching and quickly I grabbed the gun that was in Jeremiah's pocket and  threw it at the guards in the hallway to our right.

We were about to walk out the door, but I heard someone say "GCPD, NOBARY MOVES!" behind us. 

It was impossible for us to get out of this situation without them chasing us!

"Harls! COME ON!"

"Sorry, honey! Thank you for saving me ... I know I'm a few years late ..."

My lips touch his, and I finally feel what I wanted to feel.

"Bye!"

I closed the door, which split us now. Suddenly, the lanterns on the police guards began to blind me!

"Hi, mates everything alright ??"

I felt that Jeremiah hadn't left yet, I still tried to defend myself, but when they shoved a needle into my neck my vision began to get distorted ... The last thing I saw was him moving away and calling my name ... Everything turned black.