Chapter Eighteen

When I got to GCPD everything was pretty quiet for a police department. Some people with handcuffs tied to a desk, others in the cells and others giving testimonies. It's fascinating to work here. Apart from the fact that it is a magnet for criminals, but since I arrived I haven't had any unpleasant experience.

     I opened the cabinet door. And I saw three figures in front of me: Lucius, Jim, and a short man.

"I'm sorry for the delay, the traffic is horrible today!"

"It's okay, Harleen met Harvey Bullock! He's a detective here!"

"Nice to met you. I had never seen you around."

"I had a mission out, but now I'm back. I needed to get away from here after what happened, I've already seen that you're Lucius's new partner."

"Yup."

"Her father worked here, Walter."

"Worked?"

"He died a short time ago. We had an unpleasant encounter with Jeremiah and he didn't survive the wounds."

"It seems that that plague is still here."

"We are working on that!"

"Well, Harvey walk with me, and I keep you informed, while Harleen and Lucius make their rounds. I've put your cases on the tables today, the bodies of the victims to be analyzed are in the morgue."

"Thanks, Jim." '

       That Harvey didn't like me much. I felt he didn't trust me at first contact. If he becomes a problem ... No! I'm not going to kill a cop who did me no harm! What kind of idea was this? I'm not a serial killer, I'm just a normal woman who works in GCPD! Like all the others!

     So many cases I have for today. Nor does it feel like doing nothing just by looking at them. As soon as I open the first one comes the urge to fall asleep. Talking about a girl who was murdered by her boyfriend who eventually ran away, the police are still looking for clues to his whereabouts. Love can be quite dangerous at times, he was able to kill the girl of his life, who knows why! Next, the victim have marks along the body ... will my day be based on seeing corpses and discover clues in people's bodies?

"Lucius, we need you on the field."

"Okay, Jim."

"Do you want me to go too?"

"If we need help we'll call you!"

      Now I'm sure I don't like that Harvey! I always went with Lucius to the crime scene to investigate. I'm sorry I didn't become police as everyone told me, the fact that I spend my life in a room scanning bodies and files no longer satisfies me. I don't like feeling useless, isolated from all the action. The Harleen from a year ago was probably happy with her life, but ever since I began to feel "alive" during the times I was in danger, I wanted to experience that feeling all my life.

    I spent most of the day analyzing the bodies, not paying attention to what I was actually doing. I began to imagine for myself, if my life continues in this state to some extent someone will find out what I did to my father and there I will have to run through my life trying to prove my innocence. If I could escape to another country, I would eventually get a man and start a new family to disguise my actions, but I would not be happy. Another option if I were discovered was to arrest me in Arkham where I would eventually be killed by one of the psychopathic patients and perhaps the person who would replace me in this job would be looking at my file: "Harleen Quinzel Walton, 28, worked at GCPD as a forensic investigator, killed her father, had been sent to Arkham where she had been murdered "and I would not have a very happy ending. The third option if I continue to do my job right without raising suspicion would be if I stopped helping in the investigations, since they are not my area, and to stay only for what competes for me, which is to stay in this room until my shift is over. It would be a peaceful life, but it would not be happy either. I did not have many alternatives, whatever Jenna planned for me, she knew how I felt at the moment and she was enjoying watching my suffering.

            It was time to make a decision, since it was only 15 minutes to the combined hour.

Hard as it was to ruin my life, I felt the need to continue the investigation, wherever it takes me, it must be better than staying in this room for all eternity! I still have doubts about you! I do not know what they are planning for me, but I'd rather find out than not know!

       I grabbed my suitcase and car keys and ran out of the building. I started the engine of my car, I took the paper Jenna gave me and I drove to the indicated address. I was nervous! I did not know what was waiting for me or who was waiting for me. I drove to an abandoned building. Was this the supposed place? I'm scared ... I like to feel scared,to define the limits of my actions and I like to go beyond these limits!

       I entered through the front door, waiting for some noise to tell me where to turn to now. I should have brought a gun, now that I remember, but it's too late. If something happens I will have to use my skills again. Where do you think I should go? Shout out? You want me to yell? What if they start shooting at me? I just get in trouble ....

"Jenna said you were waiting for me!"

"Yes, indeed I was!"

      A voice made me shudder, I was not expecting such a quick response. And from one of the doors came a familiar face. She wore a green dress down to the feet that reminded me of a fairy like the ones that appeared in the books I read as a child. She could look like a fairy, but she was a criminal inside. 

"If I remember correctly, you owe me a favor!"

"Ivy!"