Finding my wife

"I'm here, Doug. Don't you loose your head now. We would find her. I promise," says Lucien.

His buddy finally returned from Cornwall. He looks different somehow. More serious. More gloomy.

Lucien asks, "What happened? Your letter wasn't very clear..."

"That's it. I just don't know why she left the party. Straight to Charles' arms."

"Keep calm. Did she behave unlike her usual self?" asks Lucien.

"She looks sick. I, I shouldn't have left her alone. I, no, we should have stayed at home! I'm a moron!" yells Doug.

Doug keeps hitting the wall in his rage.

Lucien asks, "Have you searched Earl Worthington's properties in London?"

"The runners and I have gone to several houses. None."

Doug presses his head to the wall.

"I couldn't stop thinking how he would have hurt her. Touched her in many ways. I, I just don't know what I would do..."

Lucien asks the question he has feared, "And what if she's pregnant? Charles' kid? Would you take her back?"

Doug hits the wall few times more.

He whispers, "I, I don't know..."

Lucien says, "You should think this thoroughly, Doug. If you didn't want her back, just leave her with Charles."

"I, I can't. That man is unstable. He might kill her. I love her, Luc!"

"Then accept her. Even if she's pregnant. That's my only condition if you wanted my help."

Doug stares his best friend. He looks hurt beyond words. Lucien stares him back. Not saying anything at all. Silent as clam.

Doug asks, "You know where she is? Tell me you know it!"

"Only if you acted like a real man. Emmie is a victim too, Doug. And a child is an innocent being. Regardless of the father. Whoever he is."

"I won't hurt the child. You could have my word," vows Doug solemnly.

Lucien sighs. He says, "I know where she is. Remember your promise."

"I will. Just take me to her."

*****

It's has been a fortnight since she got taken here. And Charles has past his patience limit. He visits her bedroom tonight.

He locks the bedroom door behind him. Emmie looks pale. She knows this would happen sooner or later.

Charles walks closer and closer to the bed. Emmie is feeling weak. Her pregnancy made her lost any appetite. Too much vomiting.

He holds her hand and kisses the back of it. He smiles to her but she looks another way.

Charles kisses her cheek. Trying to kiss her lips.

Emmie gasps. She prays and prays to be given more strength. The truth couldn't be concealed much further.

She confesses, "Please don't touch me. I'm pregnant..."

Charles lifts her chin with a finger. She looks toward him. Fear is shown in her pretty eyes.

He asks, "You think I'm a bloody fool, Emmie? I know about it. You barely eat anything."

Emmie looks shocked.

Charles grins wickedly. He adds, "What would Doug think? I kept you here. And you're pregnant. Must be my child."