Her baby

Nine months passed without any incident.

Doug is walking in a circle in Duke's study room. Emmie is delivering her baby right now. It has been hours.

(Why? Does it normal to be this long?)

Doug is startled when a hand taps on his shoulder. Lucien offers him a glass of Brandy.

Doug gulps it down. It's burning his throat.

When Emmie's gone, Doug went to parties. Seeking comforts from another woman as usual. Nothing works. Still had a big hole in his heart.

Doug collapses on the couch.

This morning, Lucien's letter came to his town house. Announcing the baby would be due. Emmie's delivering the baby right now.

It has been nine hours.

Doug asks, "Is it normal to be this long?"

Duke Exeter says, "Lucien gave his mother hell for twelve hours. She even sworn would never have another baby. Well, I managed to sway her for few more kids."

Lucien scolds, "Not interested in how you humored mother. Thank you very much."

Doug buries his face in his hands.

(If I lost Emmie now...)

He's too afraid to know the answer. His pride made him lost Emmie. Never felt a day of happiness since she left him.

Doug has stood up. He walks to the east wing where the guestrooms located.

Lucien follows him, he asks, "Where are you going?"

"To find her."

"You can't. No man is allowed to see the process of..."

Doug has gone, completely ignores him. Lucien sighs. Hope this drama between Doug and Emmie would end soon enough. He got a special lady waiting in Cornwall.

Doug's feet feel heavy.

(What am I doing here? What if she chased me out again? On previous several occasions, she refused to see me at all. Can't blame her. I treated her badly).

Doug had been trying to meet her for the last few weeks. She rejected them all. Saying she didn't want to have any connections with him anymore.

All his letters were returned. Unopened.

His feet bring him closer and closer to the bedroom. Emmie kept screaming out of pain.

"Doug! You idiot! I'm going to kill you!"

Her voice is strong.

Doug feels extremely relieved.

"Doug! Ugh! I would never let you touch me again! An eunuch if you dared! Oh! God, help me!"

Emmie kept cursing his name. Blaming him for making her suffer like this.

(Is it true? Is it really my child? She didn't know I'm here. She wouldn't lie. Not in time like this...)

Suddenly his vision becomes blurry.
A dark shadow is moving to the door. He tries to scream. No voice is heard from his throat.

That looked like George or his ghost. The ghost stares him and shakes his head. As if blaming him for everything.

The ghost walks through the closed door. Doug recovered from his paralysis. He opens the door.

The ghost is standing next to Emmie. No one else seems to see him. He kisses her forehead and touches her belly.