Keith: Always

Lance was acting... Weird. Ever since his accident about four days back, he's been walking around the farm with a limp, despite the fact that his parents and I keep telling him to just stay in bed. "What are you going to do Kogane? Pick me up and carry me back to my room?" He demanded as he grabbed up his watering can so he could head out to the Juniberries. It had literally only been 18 hours since he had gotten hurt and he kept wincing at certain movements he made. I frowned.

"I will. Don't test me Lance." He rolled his eyes.

"You wouldn't dare." And just because he said that, I walked up behind him and literally sweeped him off his feet, holding him bridal style just as I had when I brought him into the house yesterday.

"Keith!" Lance shouted, linking his arms around my shoulders. "Are you crazy!" He demanded, blushing red as he stared at me. I shook my head.

"You said I wouldn't dare." I said with a shrug, walking out of the barn, his watering can abandoned on the ground.

"Keith I swear to god put me down."

"You want me to drop you?"

"Keith." He groaned.

"What? Your leg is still bleeding Lance. You shouldn't even been standing, let alone watering the Juneberries. I'll do that."

"I want to do it." Lance insisted. "I love doing it." I sighed, seeing how serious he was about this. I set him down lightly and Lance muttered something under his breath in Spanish before heading back into the barn.

Lance usually is pretty weird, rambling often and making dumb jokes but this was a different kind of weird. It felt like he was hiding something from me but I didn't know what that would be.

One Friday morning though, I finally figured out why he had been acting so strange. I came downstairs changed and ready to get to work and found Lance sitting at the dining room table, waiting for me as usual. "Hey." I said lightly, pulling Lance's flannel on over my plain black shirt. He had given it to me a couple days ago and so far hadn't asked for it back. He smiled.

"Happy Birthday." I froze, startled.

"You remembered?" I asked. I had purposefully told Shiro that I didn't want to make a big fuss. That I didn't really care that it was my birthday. Had he told Lance? Had he told other people? Lance snorted.

"Yeah, always Keith. I remember all of our friends birthday's. Here." He said, pulling a neatly wrapped gift off of his lap that I somehow didn't notice. I felt a little bad now because even though I knew when Lance's birthday was and Shiro's, for the life of me I couldn't remember Pidge's or Hunks.

"Oh, well... Thanks." I said with a smile.

"Open it." Lance said excitedly. I sat down at the table across from him and carefully tore open the paper. It was a box. I glanced up at Lance and he smiled at me so I opened it. Inside was a collar that looked about big enough for Kosmo, his name engraved on the pendant and what looked like a sheafed dagger. I picked it up and smiled. "Your name's engraved on the handle." I turned it over and found my first name and the initial of my last, just as he said.

"Thanks Lance. You didn't have to get me anything though." He shrugged, watching me clip my new knife to my belt. I usually kept my Mamoran one up in Rachel's room because it was heavier and got in the way sometimes and also... Seemed to upset the harvest machines GPS system Lance and I realized at one point. I felt bare without it though and Lance probably noticed.

"I wanted to. I don't know how Kosmo feels about collars but it worries me that he doesn't have one. We lost a dog when we were younger because he didn't like wearing his collar. I don't know what ever happened to him but I like to imagine a nice family found him." I smiled. "Anyways, Pidge put a tracking device on the pendant in case you ever loose him." So Pidge knew it was my birthday too then.