Ch.11

Ashelyonna's Pov

Did he just say we're going to his house?

What the hell?

I bit my bottom lip and swallowed the lump in my throat.

Just great!

I must admit, his taste in music isn't so bad after all. I guess he's a huge Ari fan because her new hit single "7 rings" was on, and he seemed to enjoy it.

I watched how his fingers tapped on the steering wheel and how his lips parted as he sang along to the lyrics.

Finally, I got a little comfortable and relaxed into the soft interior of his car.

Shutting my eyes for a moment, I slowly drifted off to sleep.

Stefan's Pov

She was out.

Finally!

It was quiet—perhaps a little too quiet.

No snarky comments. No running thoughts from Ash. Nothing.

Even the streets were eerily silent.

Sighing in contentment, I took a turn at Daytona Meadows and drove through the scheme.

Oh good heavens, no, I don't live in this stereotypical neighborhood. It has its perks and all, but I need room to breathe, without looking over my shoulder when I vamp out.

I haven't talked much about my vampire lifestyle, but here's a close-up.

My real name is Steffaíne Tatían. I was born on March 3, 1645. So yeah, do the math—I'm incredibly old. My family and I are from Central America, but at the time it was known as Montigour, where we settled in a small village called Babina.

My background wasn't much, but with the privileges and abilities, it was worth the struggle growing up.

There were three of us—me and my twin little sisters. Where are they now, you might wonder? That's easy—they're dead.

Life was good, and I cherished it all the way, but that was short-lived when they were taken from me and my family.

You see, my bloodline descends from what you'd call witches. Yes, those mystical beings that can perform spells, hexes, and probably destroy an entire village if they have a valuable reason to.

My past wasn't all hocus pocus and pulling butterflies out of hats. It was a good, common life, and with my family, it was everything..

*Enters flashback*

"Steffi, go into the fields and fetch your sisters. They'll get themselves hurt trying new spells on their own," a strong woman in her mid-40s, with long black hair and beady hazelnut eyes, said as she set a pot on the stove to prepare supper.

Steffaíne chuckled, imagining the crazy spells his sisters were attempting as he walked into the fields. He was 23 at the time, a heartthrob for the village girls who dreamed of him as the perfect husband and father to their future children.

His laughter vanished when he saw his sisters' bodies lying lifeless in the cotton fields. His heart pounded, and denial took over.

"Morrison? Madison?" he called out, shaking their corpses. He checked for a pulse—nothing.

"Mother! Father! Come quickly, please! It's the girls!" he croaked, his cries becoming unbearable.

His father ran out into the fields, with his mother close behind.

"No, no, no!" his mother screamed. "My babies!" She held their lifeless bodies in her arms, crying desperately.

"My girls!" his father yelled.

Flashback ended*

Stefan's Pov

I pulled into the driveway of my home and glanced over at Ashelyonna. She was sound asleep. Shutting off the car engine, I leaned back and inhaled the fresh air.

After a few minutes, I was ready to move again. Stepping out of the car, I walked to Ash's side and carefully lifted her out in a bridal carry. As I did, her skirt shifted, and my hand brushed against her leg.

"Damn it," I whispered to myself, feeling a little flustered.

Rolling my eyes at myself, I pushed the door open. I lived alone, of course, but sometimes it felt a little empty.

I wanted Ash to wake up, so I decided to take a peek into her thoughts. Focusing on what I wanted, I tried to enter her mind, but I couldn't.

"Well, that's new," I said, more defeated than surprised. "She locked me out of her thoughts. How cute."

Turning on my heels, I went to change my clothes into something more comfortable. A few minutes later, I returned and saw how she had curled up into a ball on the sofa, hugging a cushion closely to her chest.

"That should have been me," I thought to myself as I watched her. My eyes traveled slowly up and down her body, finally landing on the soft folds of her skirt.

I smiled, shaking my head at my own thoughts, and decided it was best to focus on something else. Noticing her uniform was becoming wrinkled beneath her current position, I decided to change her into something more comfortable for sleeping.

With a snap of my fingers, her attire transformed into something comfy and appropriate. Sadly, I didn't have to touch her to change her clothing.

 Sadly, I didn't have to touch her to change her clothing

Gosh she so cute in pink.

"She'll definitely make the perfect little one day and that's a promise." I thought.