Ch.14

Jessica's pov

I pulled up into Ash's driveway and parked behind her mom's black Audi Q7.

"What's my mom doing here?" Ash asked as she got out of the car.

I followed her as she hurried up to the front door and pushed it open.

"Moma?" Ash called as she walked into the house.

"Hey, hunny, no yelling. I can hear you just fine," Mrs. Parker replied, coming from the kitchen with her 8-month pregnant belly.

She was quite short for her pregnancy, but it had never seemed to bother her. With her long black hair and button nose, she and Ash looked remarkably alike. They could pass for twin sisters, though there were subtle differences.

"Oh, Moma, you know Dad doesn't like it when you're on your feet this much," Ash reminded her, gently rubbing her mom's tummy.

"What your father doesn't know won't kill him," Mrs. Parker said with a laugh, plopping down on the couch with some fruit in hand.

We both giggled as she propped her feet up on the coffee table.

"Well, Mom, we're going to head upstairs to Ash's room and plan our outfits for tomorrow," I said, grabbing Ash's hand and leading her up the stairs.

.
.
.
.

"Okay, what are we working with?" I said, grabbing Ash's clothes from her wardrobe and tossing them onto her bed.

"Jess, you know I don't care much for fashion. I love comfort, not fashion," Ash replied, flopping back on her bed.

"You have fashionable comfy clothing," I teased, slapping her playfully.

"Wellllll..." she trailed off.

I rolled my eyes and chuckled.

"Okay, I see jeans. Lots of jeans. That's a good start," I said, getting to work.

I handed her a pair of blue high-waist jeans and asked her to try them on while I rummaged through her drawer for a suitable top. I was familiar with her wardrobe, thanks to the many shopping trips where I dragged her tired self along.

The high-waist blue jeans I handed her were Nova fashion jeans, and I'd snagged them on sale last Christmas.

"Finally!" I breathed a sigh of relief as I found her light pink crop top hoodie, which we'd both agreed on during another sale.

"Here!" I exclaimed, tossing the top over to her.

She looked great, as expected. The only things left to decide were her hair and shoes.

I rummaged through her closet and picked out her pink and white Adidas sneakers, and for fun, I added the matching pink and white socks.

I examined her look as she stood in front of the mirror. Nodding in approval, I was pleased with how it turned out.

"Not bad, Jess," Ash said, smiling brightly at me.

I took a playful bow at my performance, giggling, and told her to get out of the outfit.

"Don't worry about your hair; I'll handle that crazy mess tomorrow," I said, watching as she removed the jeans and hung them on the armchair.

Pulling on a black long-sleeve shirt and baggy shorts, Ash quickly gathered her hair into a messy bun and, true to form, went to tackle some homework.

"Well, that's my cue," I giggled, grabbing my car keys and backpack.

After giving her a quick kiss on the cheek and a hug, I said goodbye and headed out.