Ch.13

Ashelyonna's Pov

Walking along the school corridors, my mind was miles away, and I wasn't thinking straight.

It was just a kiss—nothing special.

I tried to convince myself...

I need to talk to Jessica.

Are you crazy?!

The voice in my head fought back.

She's my best friend. She'll understand.

I reasoned with myself.

I said no, or maybe not right now.

This time, I decided to listen and wait.

It was lunchtime, and I was bored, hungry, and to be honest, I wanted some attention.

What? You really think after what happened a few days ago I wouldn't want more?

Well, yeah, I do.

I headed to the canteen to get my food. As I looked around, I spotted Jessica already in line. Walking over to her, she noticed me and turned her attention to me.

"What do you want?" she asked as I handed her my money.

"Fries, yogurt, and water," I shrugged. She gave me a look and shook her head.

As she got the food, I went to find an empty table for us to talk and eat as usual.

.
.

"I can't believe graduation is in five months," Jessica muffled as she shoved two sticks of fries into her mouth.

"Better believe it, Jess," I said, stretching over to her plate and snagging some of her vegetables.

"Do you know how many memories we've made here?" she said dramatically.

"Puh-lease, you know what my favorite memory of this place is going to be," I said with a straight face.

Jessica shook her head, waiting for me to elaborate.

Leaning in closer, I looked her dead in the eyes and replied, "Leaving it."

Jessica immediately burst into laughter.

Chuckling at my own joke, I nearly choked on my fries when I saw Stefan walk in and look directly at me.

"Are you okay, Ash?" Jessica asked, noticing the sudden change in my mood.

"Umm, it's nothing," I lied, trying to keep my composure.

I watched as he walked over to us, and I quickly dug into my yogurt.

"Ashelyonna, are you forgetting you had something to do during the lunch period?" He had a stern expression, but I sensed he was hiding something.

"Umm, no sir," I replied.

"I told you to come by my department at lunch so we could discuss something," he continued.

"Oh shit, I totally forgot," I said, grabbing my things and shooting up from the table.

When it finally registered, I knew what he was talking about, but I wasn't sure if he was serious.

He rolled his eyes and walked off, and I hurried to follow him.

"Sorry, Jess," I said, giving her an apologetic look and shrugging.

"Umm, excuse me, Mr. Tate, I was wondering if you could help me with my Literature work. You see, I'm trying to be more of a writer, you know?" Chloe addressed Mr. Tate as if he were just another guy in school she flirted with.