Ch.39 (distance)

Ash's POV

I couldn't believe I was stuck away from Stefan because of some crazy person's jealousy. With a sigh, I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and padded into the bathroom. Staying at Jessica's felt strange, like I didn't belong. She had barely paid me any attention last night, and I really needed her support right now. I just wanted my best friend to talk to, to help me process everything that had happened.

Looking around, I realized I didn't have much clothing here. I needed to go home and grab more, or I could just stay here. After all, the hex wouldn't affect me unless I was near Stefan. All I had to do was stay away from him.

Right?

"Hey, Ash, you coming to school?" Jessica called as she stepped into the bathroom, weaving her way around me.

"School?" I asked, confusion knitting my brow.

"Yeah, the place we go to get an education. You know, that hellhole," she replied, laughing at my naïve state.

I tried to shake off the tension, but as Jessica touched my shoulders, a vision flashed before my eyes: her and my brother, Chadwayne. Blinking rapidly, I looked at her, feeling a mix of confusion and concern.

"So I'll see you at school, alright?" Jessica said, already heading for the door.

"Yeah, I guess," I mumbled, watching her pass me.

Once she was gone, I grabbed my toothbrush and started freshening up, trying to push the unsettling thoughts from my mind.

Stefan's POV

"Where are you going?" Timiria asked, her brow furrowed in concern.

"I do have a life, you know," I replied, trying to brush off the tension. She nodded, seemingly understanding.

As I went back to adjusting my tie, I felt a mix of anxiety and determination. I was getting ready to head back to work after being absent for a while. Thankfully, I wouldn't get in trouble since the average teacher had a maximum of 14 days to miss work without consequences.

I had only taken 7 days off, so I was still in the clear. I needed the distraction, a chance to regain some semblance of normalcy. With Ash not being at school, it felt okay to get out of the house. I grabbed my bag and left a pouting Timiria behind in my room.

"What are you going to do if you see her at school?" Timiria asked, sitting on the couch as she pulled up her pants.

"She won't be there," I replied, attempting to keep my voice steady as I grabbed my stuff.

"Hm, what about Ella?" she pressed, her tone suddenly serious.

I paused, looking back at her. Tilting her head to the side, she held a stern expression, making me uneasy.

"What about her?" I asked, opening the door to head out.

"Stefan, she's smart. And she'll do anything to get what she wants," she warned, concern etched on her face.

I nodded, acknowledging the truth in her words. Ella was a wildcard, and I couldn't let her disrupt what little stability I had left. I stepped out, taking a deep breath to steady my nerves.

.
.
.

AT SCHOOL

As I made my way to my second class of the day, I walked into the empty classroom and began setting up. The session hadn't started yet, but something felt off. I turned on my heel, and there she was—Ella, casually sitting at a student's desk with her feet propped up on the table. I rolled my eyes, pretending she didn't exist.