Ch.17 Pt2

Ashelyonna's Pov

I noticed Stefan taking something red from Monique before we left—something in a bottle. It wasn't the first time I had seen him drink something thick and red. Curiosity gnawed at me, but I pushed it aside as we got back on the road.

Thirty minutes later, we arrived at a sign that read "Welcome to MILES FOREST." The road ahead led into a dark, dense forest. As we drove through, Stefan switched the car into four-wheel drive and accelerated, making the ride bumpy and uncomfortable. The pit in my stomach tightened.

"Stefan, where are we going?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady. He glanced at me and simply told me to relax. Not entirely reassured, I tried to follow his advice.

Through the window, I could see small houses, tents, and people working on various tasks. "Where are we?" I whispered against the glass. The car eventually came to a stop.

I hesitated to unbuckle my seatbelt, but Stefan made it difficult. He had locked the car and instructed me to stay inside for my own safety before stepping out and closing the door behind him. I sat there, confused and trying to make sense of the situation.

---

Stefan's POV

I locked Ashleyonna in the car and approached the werewolf's territory. I stood outside, waiting for the alpha to come out. Instead, Kendrick, the alpha's son who was next in line, emerged to greet me. I had never been fond of him—he was a bit of a hothead, and even his father knew he was not the ideal choice for leadership. But traditions and rules were rules.

"Ah, Stefan. What brings you here?" Kendrick asked, walking over shirtless. His eyes wandered to the car where Ashleyonna was, and I quickly cast a protection spell around her.

"Your werewolves were in my territory last week. Why?" I cut straight to the point. We had a longstanding deal: I kept vampires from attacking their kind, and they kept their wolves from harming humans.

Kendrick smirked. "Oh, come on, Stef. Can't my guys go for a midnight stroll?"

"If this happens again, the treaty will be off and torn to pieces," I warned sharply.

He smirked at me, and I noticed his gaze flicker to the car where Ashleyonna was. This time, he signaled some of the pack members to approach the vehicle.

"She's human, isn't she?" Kendrick asked, his voice laced with curiosity. I chose to ignore the question.

"What is she, your little snack?" he taunted, trying to provoke me. I struggled to keep my composure.

"She smells delicious, innocent, if I may add. Virgin?" Kendrick pressed on. I knew he was trying to get a rise out of me, but I couldn't hold back any longer.

My fangs extended, and my eyes reddened as I faced him and hissed in response. Kendrick and his pack stood their ground, attempting to look intimidating.

"That's your weakness? A human?" Kendrick laughed.

"Kendrick!" His father's voice cut through the tension. The elder alpha emerged, also shirtless, and his presence commanded authority.

My features returned to normal as I retreated to the car. I cast a wary glance at the two pack members sniffing around the vehicle; they backed away as I approached.

I quickly got back in the car, shifted it into gear, and headed back in the direction we came, taking a different route to ensure our safety.

Did I just make Ashleyonna a target? I thought to myself as I gripped the steering wheel, berating myself for the situation.

Ashelyonna's Pov

Stefan got back into the car and drove off, retracing the route we had taken earlier. I could see his tension reflected in the way he gripped the steering wheel.

My thoughts were a jumbled mess, but they were interrupted by a flurry of messages from Jessica.

Jessi💕😘❤How's it going?Are you okay?Do you need me to come get you?Ash?

MeIt's going fine.Yes.No.Lol girl, chill out.Byeeee.

I set my phone aside and glanced at Stefan's hand gripping the gear stick. Noticing his continued tension, I reached out and placed my hand over his, intertwining our fingers. His grip on the wheel loosened slightly, and I could feel him relax a bit.

°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°

Pt 3 coming next. Enjoy!