Chapter 8

"Him?" I asked as Armaros stared at me with newfound interest.

Instead, Armaros asked. "Are you feeling better? I want to take you somewhere."

I looked at my body. It was rather clean for someone who was recovering from a recent battle. With help I could stand.

I looked at Armaros and nodded. She shot up immediately as soon as I moved my head not even bothering to see what my actual answer was. She grabbed my arm and yanked me up. I barely kept the yell in, but she noticed. She lightened her grip while throwing my arm over her shoulder.

I wobbled towards the door with the help of Armaros. She opened the door to meet the sight of Joshua.

My teacher was not in a good mood today. In fact, his hair was disheveled, and he had bags under his eyes. One of his eyes was bloodshot as if he had been rubbing it too much.

He stepped away from us. "Josh. Armaros."

We didn't respond.

"Eistibus has summoned you to his quarters." He said, even his voice was gravelly.

Armaros eyes widened while I blurted out. "The Angel of Divination?"

Joshua looked at me with a tick in his bloodshot eye. It was as if I had confirmed something for him in that moment.

He turned around and walked, not waiting for us to follow. "This way, Angels."

I tried hopping along but Armaros pulled me back, something in her eyes shocking me. Fear.

"Josh, he is a Throne. The third strongest type of Angel to exist in Heaven. They make sure God's orders are carried out. If he wants you there..." She didn't need to finish. If someone as high as Eistibus noticed me, it meant sooner or later the rest will.

"Look," I grabbed her hands, partly to support me physically and partly to support her emotionally. ", there is no way we are getting out of this and besides, he wants to see me. You're just looking after me. I promise you none of this will blow back on you."

"No." She gripped my hands. "I am the senior and I will help you. Come, we're losing your master."

_____

As soon as I arrived, I knew we were in trouble. This part of Heaven was totally different. The bright white sky ended as we neared a cliff. A little outhouse stood close to the edge and was wrapped in darkness, unlike Alto.

Joshua stood at the wooden door waiting for us. During our walk, I had discovered that my legs work so Armaros and I approached the door detached from one another.

Joshua knocked three times. It took awhile before the door swung open to reveal a sinister looking guy.

This guy definitely looked like he deserved to be in... Hell. He had a thin crooked face, a pointed nose and dark, hollow eyes. He had long black hair that was plastered across his forehead and the smile he gave me didn't reassure me at all.

"Well, right on time and with company." He turned towards Armaros. "Armaros, I did not send for you, did I?"

Armaros said nothing, only focusing on Eistibus. Joshua regarded him as well, not saying anything.

Eistibus moved so we could enter but we didn't. "Only the newbie."

I looked at Armaros, a warning clear on her face. I didn't bother to look at Joshua. Since I got here, my mentor hasn't showed any interest in me what so ever.

I entered the outhouse of Eistibus.

The inside was larger than it appeared outside. There was no furniture but books laying in piles here and there. The back wall was a top to bottom window that looked out into a sky but not just any sky. Earth's sky, the place in my dream. One part night, the other day.

"A nice view, hey? Divination has its perks." Eistibus chirped. Though the view was amazing, I returned my attention to the Throne. For a third highest Angel in Heaven, he didn't particularly exude godlyness.

Then, out of nowhere, bright light flooded from him spreading outward. I shielded my eyes and shuddered. The light felt wrong on me, making my skin feel irritated.

Block it out.

Block it out.

Block it out.

I don't know whose thoughts were those, mine or his, but I was certain that we were thinking the same thing.

I pulled something out of nothing, literally, and suddenly I could see. It was as if the light was being filtered through something.

"How are you still seeing? You should be blind!" Eistibus had shouted before the light faded into a furious Throne. "Only Angels can survive the light of God, and you're no Angel!"

Then something else happened. It was as if someone was in my mind, flipping through my memories. What happened in the arena, waking up earlier, etc.

It was him, and I couldn't stop him.

But nonetheless I looked straight at him. It was as if the thing in me was furious because suddenly I could hear a door bang in my mind. I looked up just to see Eistibus thrown across the room into the door.

He looked at me as I felt the thing beside me. It was as if he was not my enemy, more like my protector and for the first time I didn't need to summon his power as it flowed into me on its own accord.