Chapter 15

There was nothing I had to pack. It felt odd but it was true.

Standing in the empty room, the exact one I spent all my nights in, it felt odd leaving here. This was the place I had discovered Harry, where I met Armaros, that I felt pain. It was weird leaving something that, I guess you could say, I knew my entire life.

Be careful, Nine, somethings not right here.

I agreed with Harry. Something about Jesus and the Seraphim escort was off.

What do you think it is, I asked him.

I could feel the gears turning in both of our heads which is a thought I never predicted I would have had. If given more thought, I had a whole body within me.

Weird.

Stop thinking like that, He scolded. It disturbs my thoughts. I believe this has something to do with your…past.

Why did you say past like that, I asked but he didn't get the chance to answer as a knock interrupted our conversation. Or lack of one to be honest.

Before I could say whoever could enter, they did. The door swung open to reveal Joshus, my mentor.

He was clearly back in his human form but the image of his angel form still burned in my mind even just from a glance. I had not seen his wings, but I knew what was below all that skin.

"I owe you an apology." He started, slowly as if it was hard to get even those words out.

"For what?"

"I predicted you'd turn out like Lucifer, that you were a demon but you proved me wrong." Even before he finished, I knew it was a lie.

He believed me to still be like Lucifer. A student who rises suddenly high into the ranks, given his own task and then standing against it. He was afraid of me now that he knew he could not control me.

"Once I return to Earth my memory will start to return. That and the process of earning my wings." I said nonchalantly as if it weren't big things.

He gulped but kept his composure. He nodded his head, not feigning surprise. The thought had probably already occurred to him. He turned and walked out without another word.

I took one last look around my room before following.

Immediately, I stopped in my tracks. In front of me were hundreds of angels, standing at grim attention waiting for me.

"You have risen from the fallen and have chosen the name Nine." Kushiel managed through gritted teeth. "You have risen to glory under the Lord's light and have claimed the title Dominion. We will now present you with your alb."

Another angel walked out of the crowd carefully carrying a long white piece of clothing. It was easily the length of me. Was it some kind of uniform?

The angel gingerly approached me. She looked nervous as the cloth seemed to ripple from her trembling. She gestured for me to kneel, and I did. She walked behind me and draped it over me.

Immediately the cloth rippled becoming a deep red that appeared black. A ripple went through the crowd.

"It's your alb or cloak of the Lord." The girl whispered as she stepped back. "It's supposed to remain the color of white."

Of course it was.

"Now for the scepter!" Kushiel yelled.

"There's no need for the scepter," A voice said. Jesus sat on the roof overlooking the strange inauguration. "You have that covered, don't you?"

I looked at the man who seemed to have stolen the attention for now. Apparently the 'messiah' did not get out often.

I stood and threw the hood of my alb off. As I did, something poked my legs but I didn't panic. It was Draco, back from wherever he went, hanging across my back.

"Assume your position, Nine," He smiled and gestured towards the hill I had entered Alto not so long ago.

I began to trudge, making my way through the crowd who parted around me. I saw Kushiel and his friends watching, anger clear in their eyes. Joshua stood in the back, his head hung as if he knew what was to come. Armaros was nowhere in sight.

They fear us, Harry explained, They should.

I didn't ask him what he meant by that and continued walking. Soon I reached the top of the hill which was not a hill at all. It was like Eistibus' home, dropping off to the world below.

I was tempted to look back at Alto, but there was nothing for me to look back at. Not a family nor friend. I had thought that this place had been my home just a few moments ago now I knew better.

And with that defining thought, I took a step into the past.