EIGHTEEN

YOO SOYEON

"Let's grab lunch, I'm still starving."Lucas said as we both leave the classroom. I immediately snapped out of my thought and looked at him. "What?"I asked. "Lunch, let's eat."He said and I shook my head. "No, no, no. You have a date right?"I asked and he looked at me weirdly.

"What is this? Soyeon never says no to free food."Lucas said.

My mind has been repeating on what happened two days ago. The lingering stares from the men in suit, the man that followed me, everything. I immediately shook the thoughts away and Lucas tapped my shoulder. "Is everything fine? You're not hiding something aren't you?"He asked and I shook my head. "No!"I said and he rose one of his eyebrows before nodding. "Well then, let's eat!"He said, dragging me towards his car and I huffed, giving in.

The whole way there, I kept on looking at the rearview mirror. I was afraid that he would be dragged into this too. My thoughts were scattered again when he talks to me.

"You look a bit paranoid."He said, glancing at the rearview. "Why? Is someone following you?"He teased. I forced out a laugh and shook my head.

We arrived at the place and take a seat on one of the empty tables. The place smells like tteokbokki sauce and there's a decent amount of people inside. My phone buzzed and Doyoung's name popped up.

Doyoung: where are you?

"What do you want?"Lucas asked, scanning over the menu to see if there's any new or special foods today. "The usual."I said to him before typing down on my phone.

Soyeon: Gangnam Tteokbokki

Doyoung: alone?

Soyeon: I'm with Lucas
Read, 5:43 pm

I locked my phone and hear Lucas just finishing up his order. The waiter leave and took our menus with her. "We haven't play with Yeri in a while. Is she doing fine?"He asked and I shrugged. "She stopped texting me. I'll text her and ask if we can watch a movie this weekend."I said.

"Sounds great. You should bring Doyoung along."He said. "Why?"I asked. "Heard a new horror movie will be out tomorrow. You know what happens at horror movies with your dates."He said with a grin on his face.

"Do you want me to wash your brain myself?"I asked, hitting him and he burst out into laughter. "C'mon! It's not like you guys haven't kissed before."He said, rolling his eyes. "We didn't!"I said fastly and he rose one of his eyesbrows before nodding slowly. "Yeah, sure you never."He said mockingly and I blushed. The food arrived soon after and we both started to dig in, eating from each other's plate.

"When did you do it?"He asked, pointing to the band-aid on my knuckles. "Recently."I said and he nod. "You didn't,"He trailed off and I immediately shook my head. "No, I just— it's too overwhelming, I felt a bit, you know. I had to do that."I said and he sigh. "Still haven't told your family?"He asked and I shook my head. "I'm a burden in that family, telling them about this will probably be a one way ticket to the States."I said and he sighs. "I wish you had better life, Soyeon-ah."He said, chewing on his food and I chuckle. "Don't we all? Seems like my life is going downhill these past months."I joked. "Seems like you are the only person that would joke about your life."He said. "That's one of my charms."I said and he laugh.

We both talk with each other for a while and he looked at the time on his watch. "Crap, I have my date."He said and immediately raises his hand to ask for the receipt. "In that clothes?"I asked and he nod. "If I took you home, then change my clothes, and went back to the cinema, I'd be late."He said, placing the money on the receipt. "I can take the bus. Go change your clothes."I said and he look at me for a while before nodding. We both walked out and I sling my backpack around me.

"Stay safe. Text me when you reached your house. I'll see you tomorrow!"He grins, ruffling my hair and I laugh, waving at him. He gets inside his car and honk once before leaving. I walk towards the bus stop and sit down at the metal chair, waiting for the bus to arrive.

I walked out of the bus once it has reached my stop. I walk back towards my house and took out my phone to send Lucas a quick message.

Soyeon: I'm almost home.
Sent, 8:03 pm

I lock my phone and shove it away inside my pocket. I heard footsteps behind me. It's an obvious sound, almost like it was meant for me to hear. I glance beside me and saw a black van with two men inside staring at me. I took a breath and shook the bad thoughts away from my head.

They're probably just waiting for someone.

Either way, I fasten my pace. I hear the footsteps started to get faster and my stomach dropped. The street was empty as usual, not many people are here at this hour. My breath turns a bit heavy and I glance behind me to see the man with a black cap on his head, covering his face. I saw a white cloth on his hand and I immediately widen my eyes. I started to sprint and he followed right behind me. The sound of the engine coming from the van starting was also heard. I took random turns while refusing to glance behind me. My legs started to burn. The unfamiliar streets looks darker than the ones I usually took.

My heart was beating fast and my breaths shortened. My hair was all over the place as I tried to catch my breath while running. I tried to fish my phone out of my pocket but failed, giving up in the end. "Shit!"I cursed, once my feet started to slow down. I tried to fasten my pace but the man caught up to me. It was dark, I didn't know where I was. I grabbed my phone quickly out of my pocket again and succeeded. I unlock the phone and go through my recent calls. Before I could dial Doyoung's number, I was pulled back roughly, my back hitting another person. The cloth was placed over both of my nose and mouth. I tried to move my face away but the man behind me was stronger.

He dragged me inside the van and I tried to fought them by placing my foot on the ground. My head started to feel dizzy and I took a sharp breath. My eyes felt heavy and my eyes closed as I feel my phone got snatched out of my grip. The sound of the car door being closed was the last thing I heard.