12

The sun was setting as I hurried my pace. My ears expecting to hear the bells any minute. The monastery stood grandly in the center of the town, where everyone could behold its glory. The bells could be heard in every corner of town, reminding those who still prayed to the Gods. A beautiful garden wrapped around the monastery its own oasis of peace in the middle of a chaotic city. Not many came to the monastery anymore, their beliefs in a higher power shattered when no god answered their prayers to save them from the king. The king has put his people through war and back with no reprieve. Rarely leaving his castle, only to inflict more terror when he did resurface. He allows no trade and spends all the coffers of this land on his army that he uses to suppress his people and keep his throne.

Slipping over the broken monastery gates Islip into a small forest of apple trees lining the inner gates and I hide, scouting for the monks that roam here before I moved closer. Around me, leaves rustled and the broken fountain filled with rain.

There were no monks in sight.

The sun fell over the horizon darkening the already black clouds. The sharp sound of the first bell came and I was off, sliding against the cold stone wall of the monastery. I had to get to the hall and I didn't quite understand why Jaron was so picky with it having to be the sixth bell chime that my work begins.

The rain had slowed to a fine mist, and fog started to gather. I darted from behind another apple tree and sprinted over to the far side of the wall. Always keeping an eye out for any sign of people, but only fog and shadows of trees meet my eyes.

The second bell rang out. I round the corner of the building and move silently through the alley between the buildings. Moss covered the stone walls and vines hung in the archways I passed. The monastery was comprised of several buildings ranging in sizes connected by little alleys or halls. The monks had a building where they slept, another two buildings that served as libraries, the sanctuary that all should be heading to for prayer, small mess building, the Hall and several other buildings I didn't know of.

The third bell rung, and I heard low voices heading my way. There was nowhere to hide in the alley of the two buildings. The voices got closer. I couldn't run back for they would catch me and I couldn't go forward. The narrow alley was dark, the torches were not lit up yet, and it was easy for me to see. I've always had this canny ability to see better in the dark than most people. I've always kept it to myself too. I look up and hope to all the seven gods there was a window or some sort of ledge above me. If there wasn't then I would have to knock out the monks and their missing presence would be noticed, which would shorten the already short time I have to get out of here unnoticed. Seeing the uppermost portion of the alley buildings lined with the wooden lattice, I sighed in relief. Not a window or a ledge but it will work.

Jumping, I stretch my legs and arms out to catch onto the walls. Using my wedged limbs to crawl up between the buildings, I start to move higher to the lattice. Once I was as high as I could go, I grabbed my bow staff from across my back and released the latch on it. It retracted out, both ends resting in the holes of the lattice on either side. Making sure it is secure, I wrap my legs around the staff and hold on tight as the monks walk under me. Both old men in withered brown robes paid no notice to me wedged up between the walls.

The fourth bell chimed and the monks disappeared around the corner. I pull the latch on my staff and retract it back in. I drop to the ground with a silent thud and peek around the corner of the alley to make sure no more monks were near.

The hall sat just out of this alley. Its proud carved oak doors closed and wanting to be open. I remember the few days I played as a child in front of the hall's main doors. I slip out of the alley and was nothing but a shadow as I moved to the back of the hall's building where I knew lattice lined the wall and led to one of the many windows on the second story. It was now dark outside and becoming even dark for me to see. The windows above had the faint glow of the torches and I focused on that as I climbed the lattice where green night bloomers twined, its soft vines crunching under my boots. Before climbing completely through the window, I peeked in the look around. No monks, no people, only the quiet pop of the torches above my head.