Chapter 5

Midoriya's POV

"Wait, Todoroki, pull up that video you showed us earlier." I turned around, losing my balance and falling on the floor. Luckily I had already been sitting. The two of us had retreated to his room, trying to figure everything out. My friend got the video going. I stared intently at the screen, paying attention to every little detail, replaying scenes. 

"What do you think we should do with her?"

I paused the video there. The two of us looked at each other, realizing what had happened. The charred rubble, Winter looking hurt, bloody and attacking the heroes. "H-Her parents-" "Are dead."

~~~

I looked up at my ceiling, hugging my pillow in my arms.

Her family... they're dead. No wonder she was so angry. The poor thing... I can't imagine how awful that must've been... and at so young too. Did Midnight and All Might raise her? Or was she put into a foster home? No, that wouldn't have made sense, she couldn't have had such a close bond with them if that had happened. But maybe they stayed in contact with her, and she actually was in foster care? Did she have any siblings? Did they die too? Or were they separated? That video was pretty short, she could've had siblings. Maybe she doesn't remember them. But she remembered the rest of what happened. How old was she... she looked little? If she's in the same class and grade as us she has to be the same age, so... wait I think I remember something... about the date... it was ten years ago.

Flinging myself out of bed, I sat in front of my computer, quickly pulling up an old article.

"The date matches..." I muttered, not sure if anything else would. I continued, reading the title, and then the article itself. "Villain duo Insanity and Death Row burned to death in what appears to be a freak accident. With over 300 total murders, the two were on the pro hero's most wanted list. Reports said they were truly sick, causing the complete lack of empathy. Hundreds of family members relieved to hear that all of their loved ones could finally rest in peace. All 340 victims' families were visited and personally given the news. Though they might not have buried their lost ones, they had the peace of knowing their killers were gone." I blinked, rubbing my eyes. "If all the victims were accounted for, then why is there nothing on Winter? Didn't her family want her back, if she was captured, too? But... if Midnight and All Might stumbled upon her there, in the middle of the burnt building, and nobody claimed her, yet everyone was accounted for, does that mea- oh my god." A horrendous wave of nausea swept over me. Throwing my door open, I ran down the hall into the bathroom, throwing up violently.

Nobody claimed her because she wasn't a victim

She doesn't have a home because hers burned.

That's why they raised her.

Insanity and Death Row were her parents.