Chapter 5

Well, the greenie was sure having an eventful first day.
To start with, he face planted in front of pretty much the entire glade, and now was in a tense stand off with Gally in front of the maze doors.

To Gally's credit though, the newbie had been getting a little too close to the entrance, just about the time the doors were going to close.

Not to his credit was the fact that he'd practically bowled the guy over in his however successful attempt to keep the greenie from going into the maze.
It wouldn't have been Emma's first choice of action, but then again she had been a yard away when the whole situation had started.

The boy quickly got to his feet, suprise, shock and anger in his expression.
"Get off me!"

Gally glanced around at the gathering gladers, putting his hands up.
"Alright. Calm, calm, calm."

"Don't touch me!"

"Take it easy, take it easy!"

"Calm down!"

"Just relax!"

"What the hell is wrong with you guys?" The teen whirled to face the group.
Newt came running over, a hand out in an attempted placating gesture.

"Just, calm down, all right?"

"No, okay? Why won't you tell me what's out there?" The greenie's voice trembled slightly.

"We're just trying to protect you man," Alby stepped forward.

The boy stepped back.

"Its for your own good."

"But you can't just keep me here!" His voice was bordering on panic now.

"Well we can't just let you leave either!" Emma shot back.

"Why not?!"

Loud groaning cut off all conversation, rhythmic clicking and grinding stone resonating deep in the gladers chests.
A moan of wind, which grew into a howl, blew through the entrance, making some of them cover their faces.

The newbie just stared into the maze, seeming part enraptured and part terrified at the same time.
"What the hell?" He breathed.

They all stood there, still, as they watched the stone walls gradually close, sealing them in for the night once more.

"Next time, I'm gonna let you leave," Gally said pointedly as he walked off in a huff.

He gave no sign that he had heard or was even listening, the greenie was just still gazing up at the closed doors, mouth kinda hanging open.

Alby went over by his shoulder. "Welcome to the Glade."

Most of the others were wandering off to complete whatever chores they had to do before the bonfire, but Emma lingered for a moment.
"Hey, greenie."

He turned and met her eyes, blinking like he was trying to wake himself up from a dream.

Or a nightmare, she thought dryly.

"What?"

"You'll get used to it. And another thing?"

"Yeah? What?"

"Close your mouth. Its gaping like a fish."

Emma jogged away, racing Minho as they ran back to the main area, laughing all the way.

Newt came up beside him.

The greenie watched Emma as she turned back around, briefly giving Newt a wave.
"She's.....different."