Chapter 20

This is all you Thomas!

Newt?

The soldier!

What is this place?

Look around! Look around!

Really? Because she seemed to recognize you.

I remember....

He called me a monster. What if he's right?

Eyes blinked open, the light of a new day barely filtered through the walls of the council hall.

As Emma sat up slowly, grunting as her still-sore muscles ached, she noticed Newt was gone, his comforting warmth having disappeared.

Still wearing his hoodie, she pulled some of the soft linen to her face, taking a breath. It still smelled like him.

Warm, like earth in the sun, plants in the gardens, and the smell just after it rains.
Smiling a little, only slightly wincing, she managed to get to her feet.

Careful not to wake the few others who were still asleep in various places around the council hall (briefly pulling a blanket back over a softly snoring Chuck), Emma found herself outside.

The sun was just barely peeking over the tops of the walls, spilling golden early morning light acrossed the glade.
Or rather, what was left of it.

Some structures were still smouldering, and there was barely a building left standing.
Breath hitching for a second, Emma put a fist over her mouth, eyes suddenly stinging with unshed tears.

Blinking them back, she drew in a deep breath, steeling her shoulders. She knew she had to be strong. For the others.

And....for herself.

Locating Newt, Minho, and Frypan talking in low tones over by what was left of the kitchen, she limped over to them.
A few other gladers were wandering around, gathering what they could from the wreckage.

"Hey shanks," she said as she walked towards them, voice only a little rough.
They turned, a light going on in Newt's eyes, weighing out the exhaustion that showed in the bags under his eyes.

"Love, are you sure you should be on your feet right now?"

Emma smiled tiredly. "I feel fine." She tiptoed, giving him light a kiss on the nose, before setting back on her heels, standing next to Newt's side.

He blinked, Frypan lightly grinning.
"I don't know what's weirder, the way you two shanks were acting before, or the fact that you're...." he waved his fingers in Emma's direction, who raised an eyebrow. "....together now."

"Oh it was definitely weirder before," Minho agreed. "But that's not what we're discussing."

"And what are we discussing exactly?" Emma asked, feeling Newt's arm slip around her waist, gently pulling her to his side.

"Gally is convinced that Thomas is the reason why this all happened. But he didn't see what we saw. It was a way out, I'm sure of it, but after yesterday....I don't think he's going to believe any of those who were even remotely friendly with Thomas."

Emma nodded. "So what do we do now? Cause I don't think that those creators are planning on letting the rest of us live much longer. Especially not after last night. I'm actually surprised that so many of us survived."