Chapter 16

A gentle caress on her cheek was the first sensation Emma felt as she woke up the next morning.

Eyes fluttering open, the first thing she saw was Newt, who looked like he had been trying to sneak out of bed, having just brushed some of Emma's hair out of her face.

"Sorry Emmy, I didn't mean to wake you."

Sitting up, swinging her legs over the side of the bed, she yawned, smiling sleepily.
"You're fine Newt. And....um, thank you, for letting me stay with you, last night."
Biting her lip, she chewed on it slightly, glancing downwards.

"It was alright love. Especially after the day you had yesterday...." Newt trailed off, then saw her expression change at the mention of what had happened. It became distant, troubled.

Kneeling down in front of her, he took her hands

"Emmy, love, I want you to listen to me very carefully. You are not a bad person. There may have been some mistakes. But," Newt stopped her as Emma opened her mouth.

"---that doesn't change who you became, or who you are right now. And I'm sure that none of what happened before you were sent up in the box was your fault. It was those shucking creators. Whatever happened, had nothing to do with who you really are inside, and I say that with complete confidence."

After a moment, she spoke.

"You're not bad yourself, you know that?" She replied, Newt chuckling softly.

As their eyes met again, the moment seemed to change. Something electric had charged the air, goosebumps appearing up and down her arms, making Emma involuntarily shiver.

The spaces between her heartbeats were loud in her ears, like time was slowing down.
And Emma could almost feel Newt's breath on her lips, he was so close, her eye lids starting to flutter.......

Out of the blue, a very inhuman squeak came from behind them, and their heads snapped towards the door, startled.

From the small crack in the door, they were able to discern the backside of a certain runner as he bolted away from the scene.
Emma groaned, but kind of chuckling a little, her head landing on Newt's shoulder.
"Minho...."

Newt lifted her head from his shoulder with a hand on the side of her face, a strange look in his eyes.
Pulling her forward, he met her lips with his, the touch gentle at first, almost hesitant.

Emma was only half surprised to find herself kissing him back---releasing all of her hidden, pent up, secret emotions into that one kiss.
Lips moving together in almost perfect synchronization, her hands wound their way around his neck and up into Newt's hair.

When the pair finally pulled away, which felt like hours later, not minutes, both of them were a little breathless.
Leaning their foreheads together, they looked into each other's eyes.