Chapter 6

(I know its daytime in the gif, but let's just pretend. There arent many gifs of Chris Sheffield out there. Also, thanks to Silver_Demigod for this sentence starter!😉)

"You're an idiot!" Emma guffawed, eyes wide.

Ben chuckled. "No, I'm not," he corrected. "You're only in trouble if you get caught."

She shook her head, smiling. Ben had apparently nicked a couple of Frypan's cookies, and was waiting how long it would take for him to notice.

Emma folded her arms. "And you think I'm going to keep this a secret because....."

Ben waved a cookie under her nose, letting the delicious fumes do their job. Emma's nose twitched for a second as she kept eye contact with a blank expression.

Then, she swiped the chocolate chip goodness from his hand and had inhaled half of the treat before Ben even registered the movement.
"Alright. Make it two, and you've got a deal."

Ben handed over the second cookie with a smile.
"Pleasure doing business with you sir."
He gave a fake bow. "At your service dear lady."

Emma chuckled as she finished the rest of the cookie.
Ben was pretty much like a brother to her, and she enjoyed being in his company.

Her ears picked out Newt's voice coming nearer, and she hid the second cookie behind her back.

"We've got three Med-jacks, Clint and Jeff, then Emma, Keeper of the Med-jacks. They spend most of their time bandaging up the Slicers."

"Hey what's up?"

"Yo, Newt!"

She gave a polite smile as they came near, swallowing the evidence.
"Hey Newt." She nodded at the greenie. "Hey greenbean."

"Hey Emmy," Newt replied, walking a little more slowly as they made eye contact, small smiles on each of their faces.
Then he and the greenie walked on.

Emma let out a little sigh she didn't know she was holding in.

Ben raised his eyebrow.
"Is there something going on between you two?"

"What?" Her gaze snapped back to Ben, who was trying not to grin. "No! Nothing's going on. Wha--did Frypan put you up to this?!" She narrowed her eyes.

The runner frowned.
"No. What does Frypan have to do with anything?"

"Well, this morning....he said...Newt, um...uh..." she stuttered.
Noticing Ben's expression, Emma suddenly whacked his arm, and Ben exploded into laughter.

She might have gone into a long and breathy rant if Gally's voice hadn't interrupted her.

"What do you say, Greenie? Wanna see what you're made of?"

The new boy had stumbled, apparently having just been knocked over by Aaron, who'd been tossed out of the ring by Gally.

Emma went over, standing nearby to observe.
She glared at Ben across from the ring as the boys began to gather, cheering and clapping for the greenie, who looked less than happy at the prospect of fighting with Gally in front of everyone.

Poor shank.

Ben nodded his head at something by Emma's right, and it was at that moment she realized she was standing next to Newt, who was less than five inches away from her.
Huffing, she folded her arms, which only made Ben's grin wider.

Rolling her eyes, finishing the other cookie as discreetly as she could, Emma watching as the very reluctant boy entered the ring, the rowdiness of the others clearing up as Gally began to explain the rules.