Chapter 14

Thoughts of the Keepers meeting were heavy on Emma's mind as she went about her regular duties.

Checking on the girl and Alby, who's conditions still had, as of yet to show any signs of improvement, didn't help her mood much.

Clint and Jeff were over patching up a couple of the Builders (surprise surprise), while Emma was over near the Bloodhouse, doing a check up on Jack, as it was her shift to do so.

".....okay. Now slowly rotate it."

She watched carefully as Jack compiled, then he grinned, finally able to go through all the exercises with no wincing.

"Great! Alright, now let me check out your wrist."
Looking it over, Emma gave him a half smile.
"Well, Jack, looks like you have made a full recovery."

He grinned again, though it faded a little, replaced with a more hesitant look. "Thanks Emma. And hey, is everything okay? You and Newt seem to be---"

She looked up at him, sharply. "What? We're fine."
Narrowing her eyes she asked, "Why did you want to know?"

Jack swallowed, becoming nervous at her expression. "Oh, um, it was nothing. Never mind. See ya!" He then turned, running off, leaving Emma shaking her head and muttering obscenities under her breath.
Beginning to jog away at a brisk pace, she headed back to the Medhut.

What was with everybody thinking there was something going on between her and Newt?

Well, you did sleep with him last night, her inner voice reminded her.

Shut up. That was next to him. That doesn't count.

He also did have his arms wrapped around you......

And, there was that one morning he almost kissed you....

Emma could almost swear it was as if her own conscience was snickering at her.

That doesn't mean anything!

She ended up being so preoccupied with having the silent argument with herself that she walked right into the boy in question.

Vegetables tumbled to the earth as the two collided with each other, somehow in the mess Emma managing to land right on Newt's chest.
Both of their faces were bright pink, and barely a few inches from the other.
They held eye contact for about five seconds before Emma finally returned back to her senses.

"Oh shuck it! Sorry Newt," she apologized, extremely embarrassed and getting off of him as gracefully as she could.
"I should've been paying more attention...."

"No Emmy you're fine," Newt spoke, that odd catch in his voice again.
Out of her peripheral vision, she spotted a couple of the trackhoes over behind Newt's shoulder, whispering to each other and snickering.
One or two of them was pocketing something.

Are you shucking kidding me?!!

One of the poor shanks caught her gaze, gulping at the burning glare sent their way.

Kneeling down next to Newt, Emma quickly helped set the tomatoes and zucchini back in the basket, for some reason now unusually self conscious about how close they were in proximity.

Standing together in unison, neither of them really broke eye contact.

"Thanks Emmy."

"No problem."

"Emma!!!" Jeff and Clint came sprinting up to the pair.
Snapping around to face them, she immediately knew that something had gone wrong back at the Medhut.